Suggestions for Large Tank Build

Hello all,

I moved out to Colorado about 2 1/2 years ago from Rochester, NY. Back in Rochester I had a 120g SPS reef system that was actually TOTM way back when on Reef Central. I took a hiatus between that tank and moving out to CO, but am now looking to build a large tank into the new house. I have a small 64g tank going now, but it is in it's infancy at the moment. I have a spot where I believe I can put in about a 450g tank (8' x 3' x 2.5'). I would love to hear some of the best practices people have come up with during their builds as well as recommendations on tank fabricators. I am looking to go acrylic, but am always interested on other opinion for tanks of this size. This will be an SPS dominated tank BTW.

Thanks,

Steve

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Questions to ask yourself that I considered or should have as I planned my 360 classroom build.
Can the space structurally handle the load?
How am I going to get water to and from the tank?
How am I going to handle the electrical load?
What type of stand will I have and how will I put it in place? I had to split my stand so I could get it through the door.
What type of lighting and canopy will I use and how will I be able to access the tank?
What type and size sump? Return pump?
My build isn't perfect but I'm pleased with it so far. I'm hosting the next club meeting come by and check things out.

Fluid Designers specializes in acrylic fabrication and make great tanks, sumps, and frag flats.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hey Steve - I lived in Rochester for 4 years while my wife was at the U of R. Miss the garbage plates!

I don't have any advice on the big tank build, just post a build thread up here so we can all follow along!

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What exactly are you wanting to know? I highly recomend basement sump if your doing a tank of that size. Your wel ome to come check my system out Im getting ready to make alot of changes to mine. I have 1600 gallons running soon to be over 2000

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Craigar;337334 said:
What exactly are you wanting to know? I highly recomend basement sump if your doing a tank of that size. Your wel ome to come check my system out Im getting ready to make alot of changes to mine. I have 1600 gallons running soon to be over 2000
Craig's system is awesome and will fill you with ideas. Highly recommend checking it out before you start.

Thank you for all of the information. I will be plumbing the tank into the basement and it will go against a wall at the rear of the house backing up to the garage. Unfortunately, my garage space is too valuable to use for aquarium equipment. Here is the tank I had in NY way back in 2005:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/totm/

Right now I just have a starter tank up where I'm getting a few fish and rock going that will eventually be moved into the larger tank once it is in place. I have very few corals in it currently, but am looking to get some SPS going in there as well. I am planning on attending the meeting tomorrow. Would anyone happen to have an SPS frag starter pack available?

Thanks,

Steve