Sunpod won't light

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 2x150 watt sunpod metal halide fixture that I got for free. Had a bad fan and a few other things. Both lights worked fine when I started it up.
I took it apart to replace a bad fan and when I got it back together one of the lights won't turn on.
Got a spare sunpod for parts yesterday thinking it was a bad ballast and when I hooked the new one in still not firing up.
All the wires r the exact same connections between the two and I used the ballast connector piece from the spare so I know it's not the connection to the bulb, used a bulb I know works. Traced all wires and all connections r good.
Only thing I can think of is the fan that I replaced w is slightly bigger, could this shut down a ballast though?
Thanks!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I pulled the fan off that was 'not running' when I got it. Turns out, both lights come on when it not connected.
When I looked at currents stats on this model of sunpod it showed only 1 fan and 12 LEDs, this had 2 fans and 18 LEDs. Should I try to run it w two fans and figure out the power problem or leave it the way it is w one?
Any ideas? Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A bigger fan shouldnt make a difference unless its a lot bigger fan with an extremely high starting torque. Are you sure that none of the other components burnt up from running it without a working fan?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Replaced the fan a w the same model (this one is off and whines). Everything fires up fine.
Fans on it (works fine):

Fan that I tried to replace w that affects the lights:

At least I got both lights to work!!!