1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Thank God my nose works

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Balz3352, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Came home from being out all day and notice a weird sharpie like smell in the top part of the house. Not a normal sharpie but the metal container permanent marker smell. Search everything thinking its possibly something electrical. Do the dog sniff everything search and come up with nothing. Open windows put it off as my wife using a normal sharpie.

Start doing some maintenance on the tank on the main level and open the cabinet, there is the smell very faint. Everything looks okay from first glance. Look over the tank itself again one of my tunze pumps is off. Weird. Look in the cabinet a d that pumps contoller is off.

I take it off the bracket and its burning hot!

Look at what I found.
    [​IMG]

2. Balz3352

3. Balz3352

Mods obviously in the wrong spot please move.

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

moved.
    and ya good thing that didn't do any more damage. Did it get wet or anything? Hopefully tunze can send you a new one, or someone on here has one.

5. Balz3352

Nope not wet. Idk what happened. I have drip loops in place and it was in the holster glnna talk to brs. This bought the pump in march.

6. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

That’s crazy. Good catch.

7. Balz3352

Thumbs up to tunze. Diagnoses the problem. Standing behind their product and sending me a new one!

Kinda hard to tell but theire is a little crack in the cord right by the pump and vis capillary action we have the end result. [​IMG]

SynDen likes this.
  8. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm glad you're ok

Balz3352 likes this.
  9. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I would have been in trouble...my sense of smell is terrible! I never would have known. Glad you and your family are safe, and that Tunze is gonna take care of you.

timnem70 likes this.
  10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Tunze is amazing! I had a used 8 year old pump I got on Craigslist that they replaced the impeller on! No shipping or anything!

timnem70 likes this.
  11. timnem70

timnem70 Amphipod

Damn. Balz. That was a close one. Glad yer Alright. My AquaMedic did the same at point of contact with the AC switch. Charred it. The inside of yours looks like it shorted huh? Man. Cool you found it

Sent from my LG-LS997 using MASC mobile app