1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Trade Frags for Photography Help

Discussion in '"Umm, Photography?"' started by jda123, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I have all kinds of nice camera stuff, but I have no idea how to use it underwater. I have a couple of Canon 5ds, a whole pile of L lenses (including 100mm macro, 24-70 and many more), avast portal, etc. There is no reason that I cannot take good photos. I am willing to trade acropora frags if somebody can come over and show me how to use it. I also have a iMac for processing.

TheRealChrisBrown and JuanGutz like this.
  2. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

Chris Brown helped me out a bunch. He’s really good with that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Bump! I wish I had the knowledge. Doug has some of the nicest stuff around. Whoever can help out is goona be happy.

4. Archit

Archit Copepod Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

5. jda123

Longmont.

6. Archit

Archit Copepod Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

That's a wee bit too far :( If you're ever in the SE Aurora area, you are more than welcome to stop by with your camera and you can shoot some pics of corals in our tanks; I can give you pointers etc and show you exactly how I take my pics (albeit, they're not the best pics as I'm a little rusty after not having done this for 2+ years). No frags needed and 100% no pressure to buy anything -- would be happy to help out a fellow reefer.

Aside from your camera body, I'd recommend bringing a short macro lens if you have it (I use a 60mm macro lens -- works best in frag tanks) -- if you only have the 100mm then you'll have to shoot pics of stuff in the taller tank, which is fine, except my fish might photo bomb your pics :).

- Archit

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

I shoot in raw format. F14. Adjust the white balance in Lightroom to 20k. Tweak pic from there. Using a macro lens most of the time.

8. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

@walterwhite you still lurking?

9. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Sadly, havent seen him on in ages. Almost a year since his last login

10. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Laat I heard hes in a new house in castle rock (or building one) with no tank.setup currently.

11. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Wow, didn’t know that.

Hopefully someone else can help out Doug. I want to see pictures of his colonies!

12. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Sorry I am no help, I cheated and bought an underwater camera

13. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

For what it’s worth, I found this video series really interesting. I haven’t tried all of his techniques but he does seem to explain all of the fundamentals pretty well.

Search YouTube for: Reef DSLR series

SkyShark and Cherub like this.
  14. jda123

Thanks all. Something will pop up.