150 Tall suggestions

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am going to be doing a tank swap soon, and I'll have my 150 tall empty. I could sell it, but it has many scratches and a chip on the front corner glass. I'd probably be giving it away for next to nothing because of the condition, so I was wondering it I could put it to other uses.

What else can I do with it? Something I could add to my sump room in some way? I don't want to set it up as a reef because I don't want to light it with full on reef lighting. Maybe a cryptic zone or true dedicated refugium? Maybe a live rock storage vat? I can hook it up inline in sump room so heating and lower flow shouldn't be an issue.

I need ideas, what do you got?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
A cryptic fuge filled with rock and sponges would be pretty effective. No need to light it or anything

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A Deep sand/mud bed with mangroves might be sweet.
I can look into that, I've tried mangroves once and had no luck. Ideally I was thinking little to no added maintenance...

With a DSB I'd be worried it would turn into a detritus trap that I'd have to clean all the time.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
No the one with rock will be qt eventually it's just keep it live, but the 210 under the stairs has half of it designated as a cryptic fuge. I built the tile counter top over that part of the tank. The drains flow into it before hitting the equipment chambers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It wouldn't be hard to keep my t5's that are currently in use, but there are only 2 bulbs. Would a FOWLER add to bioload of the system? I'm kind of drawn to triggers, but I thought they were messy eaters?

I may have been leaning towards something on the filtration end, mostly because I want the water volume but not a lot of added maintenance.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Depends on how you set it up. Some fish can be messy and add to the bioload, but if you only have a couple of fish and a lot of live rock then it may balance out.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app