what do i need?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 40 Breeder freshwater tank set up right now. I am considering converting to saltwater.

It has a lid, a penquin 350 biowheel filter, basic lights, gravel, bubbler and all other stuff needed to run a freshwater tank.

My question is: What can i keep and what should I replace to convert it to a FOWLR+basic corals aquarium?

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
A lot lol. I was in your position and I tried to do the "bare minimum " big mistake .
Sand ,at least 40#s
Rock,optional but is highly recomended
Filters, yours will "work" but I recomend a refugium and skimmer
Lighting,your gonna need an upgrade lol.

I have a skimmer 10g fuge and over flow . Pm me

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
deadrock: pm'd
and ShelbyJK500: I will keep that in mind, what you suggest for lighting? a 2 bulb t5 set up? or pc possibly?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 6 bulb nova extreme t5 light with extra bulbs and an all blue reefbrite attached that i might sell, if your interested.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also have a 40b that is drilled with stand and other stuff that might help(i just broke down my 40B) LMK what you need.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
how much for the light? I am planning on picking up everything I need from deadrock but just out of curiosity, how much?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
or how much for everything? I have my 40B but its not drilled. How much for everything that i would need? or would you trade?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
36 inch 6 bulb nova extreme pro T5 with 12(?) extra bulbs- $200
reefbright- $150
Or i will do $300 for the lights if sold together.

Tank, stand, sump, plumbing (tank has NO scratches)- $150

LMK if theres anything else you need for it cause i probably have it:) Also open to trades depending on what it is.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
would you take trades? I have a 6 gallon nano cube dx. new pc bulbs and it has a powerhead, also figi rock (about 8lbs) and live sand with chaeto

if you took a trade, what could i get with those items?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry buddy thats a little small for me, remember it doesnt have to be a fish related trade i take cool toys too:)

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
haha just reread the post more carefully (long day) do you have an HOB overflow that i could use to go to the sump? I would also need a powerhead if the trade went through.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Matt what is it you are looking for?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
everything possibly. lights, sump/fuge with overflow box (i could maybe get away with my biowheels) sand, live rock, circulation pumps, really everything needed. what you do have?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
matt.radich;150310 said:
haha just reread the post more carefully (long day) do you have an HOB overflow that i could use to go to the sump? I would also need a powerhead if the trade went through.
It is drilled with an overflow tube.

matt.radich;150312 said:
damn haha, what kind of things are you looking for?
Nothin special.

Here is my build thread on it so you can see how its set up. http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?7971-40g-breeder-tank-build&highlight=breeder

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
whoops, didn't mean to let this thread die out to much.

I have a sump, skimmer, return pump, hopefully tomorrow i will have a powerhead or two (tlsrcs), but i still need lighting for my tank. I'm not sure how many watts of lighting i need, but am planning on sps and zoa's for sure, so I am open to any type of lighting. What do you guys suggest that I try to get?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
whoops, didn't mean to let this thread die out to much.

I have a sump, skimmer, return pump, hopefully tomorrow i will have a powerhead or two (tlsrcs), but i still need lighting for my tank. I'm not sure how many watts of lighting i need, but am planning on sps and zoa's for sure, so I am open to any type of lighting. What do you guys suggest that I try to get?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Do you still need an overflow box? I have a CPR cs100 with a lifter pump I'm looking to sell for $50

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my overflow box already, got that with my sump. I need lights possibly still, but I very well may be getting a 2x65w pc fixture from deadrock.

I'm not sure if that that will be enough light, but i will take interest in other lighting options, so if you have anything, let me know. Or also what you would suggest.