What do you do when you go on Vacation?

Hello all,

We've got a 2 week trip planned for next summer and I've been doing a little stressing about what to do with the fish while we are on vacation... Right now, I have auto feeders to handle the food side even if it is not their usual meaty diet... the lights are all timed. I'm more concerned with water top offs and generally checking on them. I have mostly fish tanks with some corals...

What do you experienced folk do?

Aaron

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my tank sitter dump hand lotion into my tank the night before thanksgiving.

No seriously though get an ATO. Worth every penny!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or have someone on the forum take care of stuff for you. Where do you live?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hmmmm better plan to hire someone then I think. There is no way I would ever ever trust my tank to un-monitored automation for 2 weeks.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
To far for me to travel my friend. Parent/sibling/niece/nephew you can show how to top off etc etc. Make it as easy as possibly

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I live in Brighton. Not far from you. I could probably stop by a few times a week.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm on vacation OCONUS right now, for 2 weeks, and I have a 125gal mixed reef. Lights and ATO are automated, and I have someone watching the house and feeding/watching my tank. I gave them names and numbers for 2 people in MASC, plus introduced them to the folks at a LFS, should anything happen. Also, the folks at the LFS agreed to come over and do whatever might be necessary in the event of an emergency/crash/etc, with the understanding that I'll pay them when I get back if necessary.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm on vacation OCONUS right now, for 2 weeks, and I have a 125gal mixed reef. Lights and ATO are automated, and I have someone watching the house and feeding/watching my tank. I gave them names and numbers for 2 people in MASC, plus introduced them to the folks at a LFS, should anything happen. Also, the folks at the LFS agreed to come over and do whatever might be necessary in the event of an emergency/crash/etc, with the understanding that I'll pay them when I get back.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
turn down the skimmer, fill up ato, big water change before i leave and try to have water change mixed/ready (before i leave, for right when i walk back in the door). then i put food rations in cups and have the neighbors feed, one cup per day at a lesser amount than usual.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I get little dixy cups and fill them with food and wright down the date so they are sure to feed only twice a day. Then I drain the skimmer and fill my R/O tank, check the ATO to insure its working accurately and that the emergency float switch is working should the primary fail. Then I train the niebor kid, train his dad, talk to my dad and talk to my brother in law , and make sure everyone is checking at least every other day. Then I turn my apex onto a static IP adress so I can view it from my phone, double check my alarms are working and then freak the **** out the whole time Im gone lol

I now also hide my lotion lol

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I hire a tank service or have a friend that does reef tanks there self, won't ever trust a novice even with writhen instruction and food set aside for each day the still always manage 2 do some thing wrong lol

ATO is for sure the way to go. My tank goes through 5 gallons in 3 days or so. And when I go out of town someone has to fill the bucket maybe once or twice depending on the length of the trip. It's never an easy feeling leaving for me becuase I worry but I do have a tank buddy that knows my routine and knows what is expected and how well I take care of things. So it puts an ease into the situation. I would also take note and type out very detailed notes about what you do, how you feed, things you turn off, turn on, times during the day/night this may happen, how you turn them off and turn them on, what you dose (if anything) and how much, how do you dose, what do you use, how much food do you use ect. I always make up a few shot glasses of food, plus whatever i add to the food and stick them in the freezer so there's already made meals :) that way all they have to do is add some tank water and wait for it to defrost in 10 minutes. Just some ideas..

You may also want to invest in a controller so that you can automate everything if that's not already done. Timers are key!