What Goby Pistol Shrimp combo has worked?

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;290772 said:
Yellow Watchman's, Yashas, blue spot watchmans, high fin goby. I have had luck with all of those.
My Randalls and Pistol are never seen apart.

Be prepared to have your sand moved all over the place. If your rockwork isn't resting on the bottom of the tank, I would recommend making sure it is not floating on sand before picking up the Shrimp.

Every single rock that is touching the bottom of my tank in some way, the shrimp has dug out beneath it.

Very fun pair to watch though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone know if Blood Shrimp will eat Yashas?

My Yasha went AWOL, he was tiny, and I worry the Bloods got to him :(

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I bought a yellow watchman and a pistol and they never paired. The pistol is now MIA. I have peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs and an emerald crab. Are any of these known predators. Also, what is the best way to get them to pair? I am looking to get another pistol. Do you know of anywhere that has them?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Yasha goby paired with a Randall's pistol shrimp. I bought the Yasha goby a few weeks before the pistol shrimp. It took about a week for them to "find each other" but now they are inseparable. Really a cool interaction that I love being able to point out to new people that view the tank.

I've seen most of the shops get these in with some regularity, but you can usually ask your LFS to order one for you.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out elite reef. I got a wheeler goby/tiger pistol combo that was already paired at the store and they found each other and stayed together 5 minutes after introducing them. They had a hi fin / tiger pistol combo last time I was in there already paired.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Do you know of any predators of the pistol shrimp?
zombie;314552 said:
Check out elite reef. I got a wheeler goby/tiger pistol combo that was already paired at the store and they found each other and stayed together 5 minutes after introducing them. They had a hi fin / tiger pistol combo last time I was in there already paired.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sweat044;314553 said:
Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Do you know of any predators of the pistol shrimp?
Nothing you listed should cause any problems unless the emeralds are really big. The most common predators for them are coral banded shrimp, triggerfish, hawkfish, large crabs (twice size or more) and large wrasses. Honestly, your shrimp that is MIA might even still be around. I though mine died once when it stopped coming out for meals. Found out it just moved it cave entrance to the back of the tank where you could obly see it at one particular angle if yoh looked really closely.

Last edited by a moderator: