Free to good home.... non reef-safe linear blenny

Erin

Detritus
Hi guys. I accidentally bought the ultimate coral destroyer. This lined blenny, aka linear blenny, aka Ecsenius lineatus. He is not safe with SPS, LPS, or softies; he will take out your whole tank in a few months. Zoas are on the menu, too.

The pros - he is the cutest darn fish. Like downright adorable. He's perfect for a fish-only and he is also the ultimate algae destroyer. He nips all day at everything in the tank, and if you have no corals, algae is his favorite. He is very "talkative"; he finds a hidey-hole and pokes his head out all day, then perches on live rock and swims through the aquarium all day. No aggression toward other fish.

But I must warn - if you have any corals at all, don't think you can make this work. The only things in my tank he didn't go after were frogspawn and hammers. Even if you feed 4x a day, he still eats coral. The good thing is that he eats everything else, though, so he's not picky. Below is a pic from online that looks exactly like him.

I'm in Parker. Did I mention he's free? He's currently living on my kitchen counter, ready to go :p He was in my sump for the last 6 months, but I just rebuilt it and pulled him out. First one to post that they definitely want him wins this little diamond!

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
do you think he would go after my elegance? thats the only coral i have and anemones i will be interested only if you think he wont destroyed my elegance lol

Erin

Detritus
He only likes Stony sufaces. What he does is nips algae off all Stony surfaces. So SPS and LPS, he is biting the Stony part where algae would grow. Like with zoa's, he doesn't actually eat the zoa, he is nipping at the substrate. Aren't elegance corals like euhilias with just the large hard area? If yes, I would venture to say hes fine. He also never hurt my acans, plate corals, or anything with a big fleshy area.

Erin

Detritus
Oh yep I just looked up elegance corals. He won't bother them at all. They look kind of like duncans, and he had no interest whatsoever in duncans. That whole family where the coral itself is fleshy but sits on it's skeleton is fine with him (my frogspawn, octospawn, hammers, plates, acans, mushrooms, ricordea, clove polyps, and pom pom xenia we're never touched). It was only corals that if you touched the surface of them they felt Stony, like favia, montipora, and tiny zoas. I went a bit overboard describing that he destroys everything because I didn't want anyone with experience with these to think "oh they only munch SPS so I'm probably fine"

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanls for the explanation, i will love to give him a good home i only have 2 clown in my tank so he will be a perfect addition
Oh yep I just looked up elegance corals. He won't bother them at all. They look kind of like duncans, and he had no interest whatsoever in duncans. That whole family where the coral itself is fleshy but sits on it's skeleton is fine with him (my frogspawn, octospawn, hammers, plates, acans, mushrooms, ricordea, clove polyps, and pom pom xenia we're never touched). It was only corals that if you touched the surface of them they felt Stony, like favia, montipora, and tiny zoas. I went a bit overboard describing that he destroys everything because I didn't want anyone with experience with these to think "oh they only munch SPS so I'm probably fine"