Whining MH?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently got two sunpod 2x150w DE MH Fixtures. One for parts and the other fits my tank. I replaced one of the fans with a larger model because it was the only one I had on hand and had to run the 2nd fan and 2nd ballast on a seperate power cord from the 1st ballast/fan. Both bulbs came used and I will be replacing them in the near future.
When I start up the MH both ballasts ping for a few seconds, I think this is to startup the bulbs as it goes away eventually. When the bulbs fire they emit a high whine that isn't too loud but it's annoying to say the least. I am new to MH/reefing and this is how the fixture has run since I got it a few weeks ago. I am not sure if what I am experiencing is how they should run, the bulbs are so bad they're acting up, or the ballasts are bad on them - I have spares but have not been able to isolate what is causing the problem. Thoughts?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Im not a MH guy but with a whining sound you describe, my first thought is the fan. Does it make that sound if you run it without the fan

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, the fans both run well. I thought the same and blew air through both to clean them out and modded the attachments to keep them from rattling - the sound is definitely the bulbs or the ballasts.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks mike! Will try them w new bulbs and see if that changes things or not.