Why are frags placed in the middle of frag plugs?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why not on the side so it's easier for it to attach to your rockwork... I know when I normally get a frag on a plug that I don't generally take it off the plug I just place it to where it can grow into my rock, then once it has I pull the plug and sell it, so why not mount the frags on the edge of the plug?

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
IM going to guess it stems from retailers who keep frags on frag racks. If they set the corals of center they would grow onto the frag racks faster, making it a PIA to take off or move :D

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
^

I always break my frags off the plugs unless they are fully encrusted. They're such an eyesore to me :/

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I got a sunset monti that was very small and entrusted right in the middle of a plug and has to wait for it to grow out to my rockwork, now I'm not saying all frags should be placed at the edge but there are some out there that it would make it easier on the hobbyist to attach to your rock and less of an eye sore.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have a pair of bone cutters?

I use my fragging tools in those situations and just break the ceramic disc. If you make small cuts on the edge of the plug, you can usually trim it down enough to wear you can completely conceal the plug.

A dremel is even easier...just be sure to not let it get too hot.

All that being said...I'd agree that's not the easiest approach, and I get what you're saying for sure. Unfortunately work-arounds are probably your best bet ;)