• Ich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BJD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sure everyone has faced one or the other, heck probably even both, or maybe even both at the same time. IME I have faced both and have a hard time determining which one I hate more. I'm sure there are a lot more worse things that we may come across but these ones seem to be the most common and give us the most head ache.

Ich - the mosquito of the ocean. Everyone gets it and itches for days until cured. DT goes with no fish for 72 days and may look "boring". I've read three ways to cure ich - TTM, Hypo-salinity, Coper.

BJD (Brown Jelly Disease) - The grim reaper of corals. I've read that most people can save their corals, but eventually comes back. I have not been able to save any, of course they were small frags that got infected, not giant ones. The cause of BJD is unkown and there is really no solid cure for BJD unless you chop/frag/break off infected pieces. If you're lucky only one coral got infected and it didn't spread around your tank.

The Skinny - One might kill your prize fish if not treated at all and the other might wipe out your prize coral, or maybe all of it.

Feel free to add to this reefers!

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely ick. Much much easier to deal with. But if you don't have euphillia, BJD is rather non existent for the most part. So its kinda a niche thing. I think a more appropriate correlation would be something like brookennella and ick or something similar.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
All right, getting some votes in. Although you think there would be a lot more with all the people that have visited the forum :stoked:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree ick causing me to loose fish would be more irritating than corals for sure!!!