XM 10k Par monsters

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I have a Ice Cap 400 watt with a LumenBrite mini over a 100 gallon cube. Changed from a 20k xm to a new 10 k. Now I have 400 par at the sand and around 800 a few inches up. This cant be good for the corals. I can raise the light 4 or 5 more inches, but its gunna flood the room with light. Will also lessening the photo period help as well?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1

I'm curious why you switched to the 10K. Asthetics?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I wanted more PAR, but not this much. I will take PAR readings today and post to compare to the 20k. The 20k has a bit of a purple-washed out look. Like 150watt phoenix. That Windex look I hate. I have been looking at the Refflux 20k and the Deep Blue Star 20k. We will see. The 10k XM is bright, cant believe how bright the sand is.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't tried any of those bulbs. Perhaps a larger reflector to spread it out a bit?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found a Hamilton 400W 14000 k bulb if you want to try an inbetween look, $5. It was my emergency bulb, can't remember if it's new or old. However, I suspect you're very particular about your lights. I suggest T5 lighting or an adjustable LED fixture. That way you can adjust the color and intensity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I would love to go with ATI but not in the budget right now$. Might check out that bulb. Will prob go with a newer Luxcore ballast and neuco 20k bulb when money allows. As for the reflector, its a LumenBrite wide, bout the best there is for coverage. I could go higher but then gunna have tons of spill over.