ZeoVit users? Acclimation question

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys...
After some discussion on the forums here I started kicking around the idea of adding zeovit to my new build.
But here's a question...
Once a zeovit system is established, do you have to take any special care--or are there any special concerns, when adding corals or frags originating in a non-zeovit environment?
I ask because in the zeovit manual it lists several different stages, and dosing of products varies with what stage you are on. Specifically, established tanks converting to zeovit require smaller doses etc etc...
Will moving a coral from a zeovit tank damage it? Seems like it would be a very sudden change, if I was to take a coral say, from the dbtc and place it in there.
Anyone know?
Thanks!
Dave

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, nothing to worry about. Just treat it like another tank.

The system essentially grows bacteria in the water column and zeolites (which can be removed) that would otherwise grow in the sand bed on their own. Think of it as just a different way of cycling a tank.

In the end, you have a system with heavy import of coral food and heavy export through skimming and bacteria growth/export. It is like any other reef tank except you just shifted where the stuff happens (sand/rock vs zeolite/water-column) and who does it (you vs the tank).

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;271505 said:
No, nothing to worry about. Just treat it like another tank.

The system essentially grows bacteria in the water column and zeolites (which can be removed) that would otherwise grow in the sand bed on their own. Think of it as just a different way of cycling a tank.

In the end, you have a system with heavy import of coral food and heavy export through skimming and bacteria growth/export. It is like any other reef tank except you just shifted where the stuff happens (sand/rock vs zeolite/water-column) and who does it (you vs the tank).

Thats the first easy to understand explanation of Zeovit I have heard :p Tagging along for further discussion :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I forgot to add that you use their coral food instead of fish poop, mysis juice and other types of food that you are probably using already.

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, thank you!
Yeah, I was doing some reading and the zeo looked pretty intimidating in terms of how many details were going to be added to the maintenance list.
Finally mapped out a zeovit maintenance cycle in outlook and it turned out it's not all that much more than I am actually doing now. Just add some drops with feeding time and yank that thing up and down some and yer good to go. Plus--I estimate 90 day reactor changes? I have to change the gfo more than that.

The missing piece for me in order to actually estimate a COST to run Zeo...is how many drops make up a ml ? Anyone know? Could estimate a rate of consumption for the various zeo-this-and-that's.
Thanks!
Dave

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some of that is up to you. You feed the tank and you control the bacteria, so you control the consumption rates - they are somewhat artificial.

Since your tank is not in equilibrium, you will have issues if you are not really regimented. Are you this kind of guy?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O liquid standard is 20 drops per ml.

This doesn't mean you will get 20 drops per ml with your dosing. A "drop" is dependent on viscosity and temperature.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2