algae id? what is it?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's normal to get cyano, diatoms, and algae outbreaks in new tanks. Don't stress over it. Do what Jack said and it should go away.

What kind of flow do you have in there? CUC? Water params?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just pulled the rock. It was 1.5 in round 3 in long. No real purpose. Rinsed it off. Ill let it dry out and maybe put it back in later.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;200951 said:
It's normal to get cyano, diatoms, and algae outbreaks in new tanks. Don't stress over it. Do what Jack said and it should go away.

What kind of flow do you have in there? CUC? Water params?
Mag 9.5 split 2 directions. 2 koralia 4s. You could see the hairs on that rock blowing every which way. Havent tested water in a while. Ill do so tonight.

Cuc is 2 emerald crabs 4 turbos a handful of astria (sp) snails and a handful of blue leg hermits. Coral banded shrimp a large hermit and 3 or 4 of the under sand snails. Can't think of their name. Also running 2 softballs of chaeto another type of macro ( leafy kind can't think of name) and a g2 skimmer. Also around 100lbs or more of live rock.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, don't freak out about it!! Sounds like you got pretty good flow and a good start to a CUC. You will see algae outbreaks for the first 6 months as your tank matures and adjusts its bacterial load and strains. Try not to make knee jerk reactions about it, as that's what will get you in more trouble than the algae!!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya it wasnt a lot figured I'd rake care of it before a problem arose. As for fish. I won't be adding any more for a few weeks. The clowns came to me as a pair about a week after the cycle. I waited 2 weeks or so and added a lawnmower and a 6 line. Next will be a powder blue or a blue hippo tang. I just want to make sure everything is good for a while first. Don't know if it matters but I'm aaround 100 total gallons. 75 tank and 30 sump