1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Aquarium chiller

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale, Trade or Want to Buy' started by Roxborough Reefer, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Does anyone have an aquarium chiller that they are not using? How is a chiller system plumbed into the aquarium? My skimmer pump and refugium light are generating too much heat. Any other suggestions for a fan unit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

2. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

How hot are you getting? Have you tried a fan, rarely have I seen a fan not be enough in Colorado

3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Any fan that can be positioned to blow across the surface of the aquarium can dramatically cool a tank in Colorado. How hot is the tank? Do you have ac? You can simply turn the fan on, use a timer or program your apex to turn the fan on, tell it apex it’s a chiller, at a certain set point and back off. It works just like the heater function.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

4. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey there. Maybe have your fuge light come on at night when your other lights are on to reduce heat? I do this and never have heat issues. How's the new tank?

5. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I run 6x Metal Halides over my tank and fan keeps the temperature from moving - this should be easy to solve for you. I talking about a real fan like a Vornado or Honeywell and not some tiny computer fan. Also, turn the fan on before the tank starts to get hot - if you get cute and wait until the tank temperature rises, then you often are too far behind to catch up.

6. The tank got up to 83F last night. My house temperature is 71F using a swamp cooler. I have a ceiling fan near the tank and it is not cooling off the aquarium. I run the refugium light and I turned off the skimmer and it only cooled down to 81F. Thus I posted under a panic.

7. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What size is the tank, or total water volume?

8. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ceiling fan wont be enough to cool down any tank. You need a box or clip fan(s) pointed directly at the water surface. I keep one blowing across the top of my display tank and 2 more fans blowing across the top of my sump.
    This increases evap and the increased evaporation will cool the tank significantly. Evap = Cooling

9. I was able to get a portable fan and run it in the stand. The temperature was back to 78F. Thank you for your advice and input. It helped me a lot.

Dr.DiSilicate and SynDen like this.
  10. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Long term, get some decent clip on or mountable fans, and run at least one, year round. I keep 3 on my 75g and 2 of them run year round, the third I turn on in the summer. The added air flow can helps promote better gas exchanges and can help keep your ph up too.

11. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

It will be easier to cool a tank without the swamp cooler - the dry air here makes evap really easy. We don't run the AC nearly at all and even on the 100 degree days, the Vornado on speed 1 (lowest speed) keeps my tanks cool. Then, the heaters come on a few hours later as the temp drops in the 50s. :(