Catching fast and evasive fish

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have an easy way to catch fish without tearing apart the entire tank. I can get certain ones like my clown and mandarin real easy, but wrasses and gobies are gonna be a bit trickier.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive got a fish trap if you want to borrow it.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fish traps are the way to go.... if you need a larger model check with Fluid Designers... they do some neat stuff with acrylic.

My fish trap is a large acrylic box that has a sliding door on each side. You place the trap in the tank with one or no doors closed, place a bit of food inside and the fish will enter and exit freely. Then close one side.... wait for the fish you want to swim in and let the other door drop. Doors are opened and closed from outside the tank using fishing line (doors go up and down).

Large fish traps serve another great purpose, acclimation chambers to allow new fish to get used to the tank and existing inhabitants. New critters get placed inside the box and spend 2-4 days while the others get used to the newcomer. Then you can open the door and let them out. Fish traps can also be used as time out for bullies.... ie tangs or aggressive angels.

-Rob

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;313298 said:
Ive got a fish trap if you want to borrow it.
I may take you up on that if I cant find one in a store thats close to my house. Thats probably one piece of equipment that I should own.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've used the DIY trap without turning the top inside out like that. Tie fishing line to the big opening, float it kinda near the top, put food in the bottom, and wait for the target fish to swim in. Pull on fishing line, remove bottle.

I've also put food in a net in the tank. Takes a lil longer, but they can't help themselves. They swim into the net to get the food and you just pull them out.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have removed 4 fish from our 55 gal that now has a lot of coral. This last was the most challenging - a large tomato clown who began torturing other fish and especially the hammer coral by trying to host and nipping at it. We used a large piece of bendable plastic grid that is used for keeping things out of gutters on houses. We wrapped it around about 1/2 of the coral and once the fish came to the other side we blocked the only opening. I 'herded' him to the front on the side covered with the grid so he was in a 2 in space and husband dropped a piece of ballast behind. Then we had him in a tiny area and his options were few. H netted him within 2 minutes and he is back at the fish store. No damage to coral or even need to move much out of the way. Where there is a will...

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody have any advice on getting a wheeler goby out of the sand to catch? I ended up tearing my entire tank down into a couple rubbermaids and he is the last one to catch?