Coral Spotlight | Duncans

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Common names:duncans, whisker coral, daisy coral

Difficulty Level: Duncans are very much like most LPS having a pretty good tolerance to most things. They do however thrive better with stable alkalinity and feedings.

Feeding: Duncans are extremely aggressive eaters with very capable tentacles. They will easily catch and consume most food types including frozen, liquid and even pellets. Take care as their feeding aggression can sometimes be taken out on neighboring corals.

Lighting (Level 3 to 5): Duncans will thrive in a wide range of lighting. As with most hard corals, bleaching is a concern, so always acclimate by starting them lower in the tank and slowly move them up to your desired location.

Waterflow: Moderate to strong water flow is important. As duncan colonies grow, they will shape themselves based on the flow you provide. Under higher flow conditions, they will generally be more tightly formed while in lower flow they will form longer branches with more loosely spaced polyps.

Placement: Duncans are very aggressive, so be careful to give them plenty of space.

General: Duncans grow much faster with frequent feedings. They can be easily fragged like most euphyllia species by breaking heads off at the base of branches. When fragging, keep all flesh covered branch scrap and watch polyps pop right out of it

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/duncans/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
These polyps always stand at the ready to grab anything made of meat right out of the water and drag it into its mouth. Duncan’s are truly amazing to watch while they eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So much tentacle detail in this shot. Duncan’s have some of the most amazingly reactive tentacles of any coral. They will happily feed on just about anything made of meat as long as it fits in their mouth. My favorite food for them is dry pellets dropped directly onto the tentacles. It’s amazing to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk