Help

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have horrible hair and bubble algae. It grows faster than my emerald crab can eat and its only a 10gallon. My lights are on 8-10 hrs only per day. My nitrates never go higher than 1-2ppm. Does anyone have any solution? Also I have some purple/pink algae that also grows on my sand that grows hair. Think pink algae can't be the desirable coralline algae? It looks like garbage

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The pink/purple alge is cyano and no its not desirable, water changes are good. Do you have a refugium? nutrent expport is the best way, your nitrates are low because all the hair alge is absorbing it. Feed your fish less, change your lights to 6hrs, get a cleanup crew if you dont have one and do some small water changes and it should go away.

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes I have a refugium. It's a low flow fuge with pods, lr and chaeto. I currently have my only fish in a hospital tank because he has/had ich so there is no feeding going on whatsoever. My clean up crew consists of an emerald crab.10 or so micro hermits and 3 margarita snails.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No that will just help. The big issue is the extra nutrents in the water(nitrates,phosphates ect). How long has this tank been set up?

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tap or rodi water? How much water flow?

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use rodi water. There is very strong water flow I have a birdsnest. Alk tested at 6.5 yesterday. The tank has been up for about 4 months. All my corals grow like weeds so I know my parameters are good. I just bought my light fixture about a month ago so the bulbs are good. My light seems to be very strong for the tank. It's a 20" 2x18w t5ho in a basic 10 gallon with a 10 gallon fuge

120greefman

I had a little cyano show up last month but my nitrates were a little high, about 1ppm. I did 3 water changes over a 2 week period and its gone. New nitrate level about .25ppm. Phosphates were almost undetectable. Ever consider a turf algae scrubber? That would probably keep your tank ultra clean and they are relatively easy to do. Here is a link.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/algae.htm

There are some other ways to do it to besides the attached link. You can google it and find lots of info.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
Increase your Alk to 8-12, the higher the better, over the course of a couple of days.

Dose a little Magnesium, ideally after testing Mag levels and shoot for 1300-1500 ish.

Cut way back on lighting, consider turning them off all together for three days. Corals can handle this, algea typically can not and will start dying off.

A skimmer is a good idea as well, not necessary, but empty a skimmer cup a couple of times and you will never run with out one again.

I did several water changes and changed my RODI filters and the DI resin (it was adding nutrients to my tank everytime I did a water changed) I then used Algea fix (marine not fresh water) 4 days staright and then once every 3 days for to more doses. I no longer have any hair algea issues. after the first 3 doses scrubb algea off of rocks couple days later when you see it dying off and do a water change at the same time. Good Idea to add a little more cheato or some GFO or phos-ban to absorb the extra nutrients that will be released into the aquarium and or will no longer be consumed. It will then over the next couple weeks pretty much starve and sluff away. I also turned my lighting down to 4.5 hours per day for that time period. I had a ton of hair algea but no longer have any problems and am back to 8 hours of lights each day and feeding daily.