How do you do it

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've been adding zoas and random frags to my tank. All have come on plugs. While I'm able to place some plugs within my rock and have it stick in place, other areas I'd like to mount are not ideal for plugs. So how are you guys doing it? Remove the frag from the plug, and use a gel glue to secure? Are there better methods? Any glue better than others based on your experience? TIA

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Break the leg off the plug so the plug is flat and fix the flat part to the rock, I use the aquarium apoxy stuff that we use for securing rock stacks to fix my plus to my rock.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've tried the two part epoxy, roll it together, then stick it on. Nothing ever seems to stick to it, and it gets hard in time, and then no dice. I was going to try gel glue, but will it setup ok underwater? Just have to hold it a minute or two?

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I almost always try to get a frag off of a plug--they do not look natural to me (I know they eventually get covered and you can't really tell, but I don't like the wait--I like the natural look). But I am not a zoa guy due to a regal angel with a taste for them. Sticks are much easier w/regards to plugs

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep I use the dollar store super glue gel, however the ecotech glue is BA, might be better than 3- small tubes for $1 lol. Just put glue on back side if plug dip in some tank water set aside for a for a few secs let it set a little bit then place on rock. I also find that twisting .25-.5 turn just like in PVC gluing creates a good bond.

Lol but you know me I kind of have a zoa issue

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i use super glue gel, loctite brand from dollar store... i also use it in conjunction with 2-part epoxy. Ill roll a small ball of the epoxy, superglue the frag to the epoxy, then ill superglue the epoxy to a rock. This method works great for mating foreign surfaces together.

I always take my corals off the plugs. I really do hate the plugs. Even with having frags, I don't want my display looking like a nice frag tank, if that makes any sense!!!! With the exception of a couple SPS that I bought in which encrusting already was taking place like my Oregon Tort, so I just leave it be but maybe there's 2 corals in my tank on plugs. I have some live rock I have purchased over the years in my sump and I take a piece and break it up into nice smaller colony sized pieces with a hammer, towel and the screw driver. With zoa's what I have always done is try to pry them off very gently with a flat head screw driver and attempting to wedge the head in between the plug and the zoas and place some super glue GEL on a piece of the live rock and then the zoas. Once that is done drying, I put some glue on the bottom of the rock and then glue that rock to its happy new home :) And I use the dollar store stuff since I always need glue!