1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

JuanGutz build-off competition entry

Discussion in 'Competition Entries' started by JuanGutz, May 3, 2019.

1. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

For this tank build I’m going to be setting up a 3g JBJ picotope tank with a 10g (ish) sump. When I first started this hobby nano tanks are what I started with because the equipment doesn’t have to be as expensive. Some people say they are harder but to me they just need attention but doesn’t every tank? With this setup I will be using a bacteria to dose into the tank to get the cycle started and introducing fish pretty quickly, shortly after I’ll add the chaeto and run the fuge light opposite of my main light to help with ph. I will be topping off the tank manually and if needed will use very small doses of kalkwaser to raise calcium and alkalinity. I’ll have an Apex setup to control the heater, fuge light, return, and possibly powerhead. I plan to feed the tank a little heavier then a typical nano tank with the fuge and may instal a filter pad trap to catch food from the overflow. This tank will be set up as a bare bottom mixed reef with sps being added later on when the tank is established. I’m hoping that in this build I will be able to teach others what I’ve learned from my multiple nano sizes tanks. I find that smaller tanks really help show the beauty in the few things you can put in them, hopefully this tank will be an example of just how great they can be!

Livestock
    •Chaeto $2
    •Clownfish pair $45.50
    •Snails $2
    •shrimp $5
    •seductions $20
    •ERS black hole sun? $15
    •anti venoms $10
    •Pandora $10
    •unknown white/purple/pink $10
    •unknown green $10
    •BHBB’s $10
    •short polyp torche $30
    • small orange frogspawn $20
    •JF sunset Echinata 3 small eyes $30

Total=$219.5

Fish tank
    •3g JBJ Picotope $20
    •Bulkheads $7.50
    •Drill bit $7
    •Sump $15
    •Light $100
    •Dr. Tim’s one & only $7
    •Filter pad $16
    •Return pump $65
    •IM Spinestream $22
    •Benepets $20
    •Fish food $20
    •Salt $20
    •Vida rock $77
    •Chaeto light $17
    •Glass cleaner $6
    •Overflow $3
    •Lamp socket $6.60
    •Marinepure gems $14
    •Apex JR. Broken display $40
    •3lb Marco rock $9
    •1” gate valve $35
    • left over hose $10
    •hose clamp x3 $5.37
    •1” ball valve $6
    •misc plumbing $10

Total=$558.47

Total combined=773
    STAY TUNED!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. JuanGutz

test set up, need to paint the back of the tank and hang the light plus install the apex and do some cord management.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Cake_Boss likes this.
  3. JuanGutz

The tank has been painted and is now wet! The jebao pump is really strong and has to be turned down to the lowest setting, I knew I bought a much stronger pump then I need and figured that out when I turned it on and got drenched with water from the return. I hung the Kessil but need do the cord management. Going to plug it into the same outlet as my garage opening and not sure where I’m plugging the controller in but I’ll figure that out. I added the marinepure gems and thru in some snails that were in my filter sock from the big tank. Attached some seaweed to a gem for their food and ghost fed a little.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Cake_Boss likes this.
  4. JuanGutz

It was really hard tuning in the ball valve to get the flow right and not have the water in the tank too high or too low but with some patience I finally tuned it and the heater and apex are keeping the temp steady at 77.5-78degrees F.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Cake_Boss likes this.
  5. JuanGutz

Okay I can’t pick up the tank till the 10th so I actually have two choices and I need input from the fine folks here!
    55g or... 3g

What would you rather see?

6. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

I'd like to see the long term care of a 3g pico. Particularly how it relates to the larger entries

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

JuanGutz likes this.
  7. JuanGutz

The 3g would have a sump and be drilled if that counts haha.

8. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Hmmmmm, tricky. If it's a standard 55g, that's what a lot of newbies start out with because they are plentiful and inexpensive on Craigslist. But I agree with above, I've always wanted to know how much work goes into a pico...but way to lazy to start my own.

I think it's a toss up, you can't really go wrong!

JuanGutz likes this.
  9. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

The 3 gallon drilled with sump has peaked my interest.

JuanGutz likes this.
  10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

JuanGutz likes this.
  11. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

The 3 definitely sound like a interesting one to follow.

JuanGutz likes this.
  12. JuanGutz

neil82 and Cake_Boss like this.
  13. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I like the pico tank idea too. I have been thinking about doing a small tank like a vase or other similar tank.

JuanGutz likes this.
  14. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

3g with a 55g sump?

JuanGutz and kchristensen8064 like this.
  15. kchristensen8064

This one!

JuanGutz and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  16. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I was thinking this too. 55-gallon macro display sump would be cool.

JuanGutz likes this.
  17. JuanGutz

Haha no a 55g or a 3g, the 3g will have a 5g sump. Might be a ten I don’t remember.

neil82 likes this.
  18. JuanGutz

I can for sure look into doing something like that! I don’t have a tank like that laying around but I have a 150g trough:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

19. kchristensen8064

Okay 3g with a 150g trough sump... I didn't see anything in the rules about sump size. Haha.

Balz3352 likes this.
  20. JuanGutz

It would be hilarious but when I move it would be a pain so I don’t think that’s a very good idea.