Lost power, is everything dead

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
During he rain i lost power to my 15 gallon tank at work. Some corals, gsp, inverts, fortunately i had already moved the fish. It was without power for 12-20 hours, i had bigger problems, so i havent had time to do anything with it. Looks like there is most likely some die off.

My question is that i want to take the rock and move it to my home tank, 65 gal. Is there any concern with dropping the rock in my sump. My thinking that the die off might create a amonia spike? or small cycle? Or am i just overthinking this.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would think it would be ok. Seems like you wouldn't be adding too much rock. Add a little extra beneficial bacteria to the tank and do a water change tomorrow or the next day just in case.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to what Shaunv said. If you don't have bacteria handy, just do the water changes if your test results warrant it.

You might have a small cycle. If it were me, I'd rinse the rock before putting it in. If there's a lot of ammonia from the die off in the tank it's coming from, then there's some ammonia on the rock. Rinsing should help that to some degree.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
How is the tank doing? Did stuff pull through?

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I saved a few hermits and a snail, everything else was goners. Ended up rinsing the rock off really well, as suggested by a few, and put it in my tank at home.