1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Plywood tanks

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Andrew_bram, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

So I know Scott has built his own tank. Has anyone else tried. What were the cost. Or links to building them. I am thinking 10x3x3. Also Scott any tips would be great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. ryewalk84

ryewalk84 Amphipod

I was contemplating doing one myself. Have researched in the past and they “seem” pretty straight forward. Interested in cost as well. Following.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Big tank total cost was about $3500

4. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Dimensions on that?

5. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

8'x6'x3' more or less

6. Andrew_bram

That is just the tank materials correct (wood, glass, epoxy, and silicone)not any rock or equipment correct.

7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Yea

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

8. scchase

Yep, I spent a grand total of $50 on rock, $100 on lighting and everything else is stuff I had and laying around.

9. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Although Scott can probably help you with whatever you want, if you have questions and are searching the national forums, check out the freshwater ones... there seem to be more plywood tanks on those than the marine forums for some reason.

10. scchase

Easiest way is to come see me or to check my build threads. Forums are all over the place on what is good and once you get to my size of tank the information I have seen is suspect at best.

11. Andrew_bram

I very well have to do that. However when I read the price to myself I heard my wife yell ANDREW from the other room.

scmountain likes this.
  12. Craigar

Craigar Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

There’s a 390 starphire glad tank on cl for $1000 right now

13. Andrew_bram

You got a link. Hope its 10ft long

14. Craigar

15. Craigar

It’s 7 foot

16. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

hmm he's like a couple blocks from me

17. Craigar

I’m trying to get his lights from him just can’t seem to get hooked up with him I need some more sol blues

18. Djmm1177

Djmm1177 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

19. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

$1000 for the whole thing? Do it Andrew...store it in my basement

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

JuanGutz likes this.
  20. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I can help too, you thinking for your basement

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado