1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Slowly starting a new build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by flagg37, Apr 24, 2019.

1. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I’m finishing our basement so I decided to reinforce the area where the fish tank will sit above it before the drywall goes on.

[​IMG]

I added a couple extra steel I beams. From what it looks like, each one on its own will hold about 12,000 lbs. on the low end for the span they make.

Next step I want to add some plumbing and electrical in anticipation.

2. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I love it when build threads start with adding beefy structural supports! Looking forward to the build

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  3. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

Go big or go home, I love it

4. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Very cool. So, any teasers about the tank you're planning for?

5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

With that kind of support, I can't wait to see what you are planning for upstairs!

Djmm1177 likes this.
  6. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Please tell me it’s a 29G biocube.

How did you tie the new beams in? Do they loosely sit on the foundation or are they anchored down?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. flagg37

Right now they are simply laying across the other beams. There was an 1-1/4” gap between the plywood subfloor and the top of the beams that I filled with a 2x4 that I ripped down to size. It’s sandwiched in there pretty good but I suppose I could weld a piece from the steel beam below it to it to make sure it doesn’t slide at all.

Cake_Boss likes this.
  8. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

I was asking in case I wanted to do the same thing. Thanks for info

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

9. flagg37

Right now the plan is it’s 96”x27”x27” and sits in the wall between my office and living room.

F2AE6AF3-0CEE-49AE-8A9F-813A39FDB92A.jpeg

I plan on the ghost overflow to be on the right side inside the door of the cabinet. The right side under the cabinet will be the dry side with all the electrical and dry goods storage with the right side having all the wet stuff. The plumbing for the return would be inside the left door (currently hidden along with several other doors) of the cabinet.

The stand will have a steel frame wrapped with walnut plywood.

So much is still up in the air but this is what I’ve got so far.

jda123, Dr.DiSilicate, SynDen and 3 others like this.
  10. flagg37

Daddy got a new toy.

572A68C0-AB3D-4328-8ECC-82AAE4D5566F.jpeg

Another step closer.

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  11. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Can you hook that thing up to my plumbing for like 10 minutes lol. I need to see if It can handle the head pressure I have. Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss likes this.
  12. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Fallowing love the rough draft great start!!

13. flagg37

I suppose. It’s not getting hooked up to my tank for a while. Pm me. I’ve heard from one source that they don’t handle head pressure that well. He didn’t have one himself though. He just heard it from someone else. Mine is slated to only go about 5-6’ and with only one elbow. Plus, I’ll probably only run it at about 60%.

14. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a calculated 21 ft of head not sure how accurate that is. According to the flow chart I should get 1000 gph. If that is true I would buy one in a heart beat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk