Strange events going on!!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So recently there have been some strange events going on in my tank, parameters wise.

I try to test weekly on Sundays. This last Sunday my PO4 was about .03 and NO3 was about 7-8. I try to keep my NO3 around 5 but wasn't overly concerned about a reading of 8. I was feeding 5 times a day. 4 times through the auto feeder with pellets and once a day with a chunk of Rods. I soak the Rods in Selcon and add 2 drops of garlic. Every 2-3 days I feed my Marine Betta 1-2 live ghost shrimp.

I have my litermeter doing auto water changes at 1.5 gallons per day. This is a continuous water change that switches out old water for new every 5 minutes throughout the day. I also siphon my substrate about every 2 weeks and would say around 20 gallons are changed doing this.

Since Sunday I have reduced my feeding from 5 times a day to 3 (2 times pellets and 1 time Rods) to help lower my nitrates. Well yesterday on my way home I get a text message alert from my Neptune that my sump float switch was tripped. This happens when my water level gets to low. Well I get home and my skimmer cup is overflowing with clear water which caused the float valve to trip. I skim really dry, I would say less than a gallon a week.

I then ran some tests. NO3 reading almost 30!! PO4 .12. Thats a huge jump in 4 days. So in a panic I called our local guru Wicked Demon and he thought maybe coral spawning caused the skimmer freakout.

Everything in my tank that I can tell is alive and counted for. Maybe a dead snail somewhere....that happens occasionally. Nothing seems to be bothered. Fish are acting normal, good PE on corals. Just wondering what might have caused this recent craziness.

thoughts?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont think so. I would see pellets all over the left side of my tank if that happened. Not to mention the trap door for the pellets only lets in a real small amount and it has to be manually adjusted. With reduced feedings now im hoping the macros can strip it out pretty quickly...

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, i was thinking more like it just happened once. I do know several people have had them malfunction like that, but i dont know if they have the same feeder as you or if their feeders work in a similar way.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now that you mention it I bet it could have dumped a bunch of food. I remember just filling it up a couple weeks ago and its almost empty again.

I am curious what caused my skimmer to go nuts last night though...

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris,
Maybe your clowns had eggs that hatched....is the male coming out from behind the rock now?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ooo thats a good thought Gale. They have actually been at the front of the tank now in front of their hole. At dusk they have been shimmying a lot and shaking their tails in the substrate...

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the venturi clogged on your skimmer? Even a little reduction on air can cause more water flow. I stick my venturi line into the water and let it clean out when emptying the cup.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The substrate I have traps detritus so I do it to keep it clean. If it was a sugar fine then I probably wouldn't touch it. I have let it go a month before cleaning and it gets pretty nasty.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;89178 said:
The substrate I have traps detritus so I do it to keep it clean. If it was a sugar fine then I probably wouldn't touch it. I have let it go a month before cleaning and it gets pretty nasty.
you can add some fine sand to fill the voids with something you dont need to maintain.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;89215 said:
you can add some fine sand to fill the voids with something you dont need to maintain.
I would love to add some fine sand but I gave it all away!!!! Haha you knew that was coming!!

Honestly the main reason I siphon the substrate is because the top layer gets coated in algae and I like it looking white. Dvenson did give me a diamond goby though and he is doing a great job keeping it stirred. Suppose it would be in my best interest to just leave it alone huh.

btw Don the substrate is only about 1-2", I wouldn't consider that a dsb.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
wasn't saying yours was deep just answering daniels question ...although your looks alot deeper than 1-2" in your build thread ...wanna borrow a tape measure?....lol

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just don't get it. I have been overfeeding for months and my NO3 has been hovering around 5-8ppm and PO4 from .01-.03. My macros have been doing a fine job converting the nutrients and keeping them low. Then I get this huge spike to 30ppm NO3 and .12 PO4 and its been a battle ever since. So I have cut the feeding back to now 2 times a day, a little amount of pellets and a little amount of Rods, I have also been doing 30 gallon water changes every other day the last few days. The water changes have brought my NO3 down to 15 and PO4 to about .08.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't my nutrients be going down since I am drastically feeding less? It almost seems like something is rotting away in my tank causing nutrient issues but everything is accounted for except maybe some snails. Would a dead snail or 2 cause such a huge increase in NO3/PO4?

Gale you mentioned my clownfish spawning. Could the offspring have caused such a huge jump in nutrients?

Or...did I maybe crash my sandbed somehow by siphoning my substrate? Maybe I put too much gunk into my water column? Seems odd though, I have been siphoning my substrate since the beginning....

Help!! i want to get my tank back down to normal so I can start feeding the phyto I have been culturing :)

Funny thing though, nothing seems unhappy. I would think 15-30ppm NO3 would tick off some corals, at least SPS but everything seems happy...really odd. I have 2 seperate nitrate tests and both test the same.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A clownfish hatch wouldn't cause that big of a spike.....most of the larvae would have been coral food.
I wish I knew how to help. It seems like it all happened quickly though.