120 Freshwater conversion!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So somehow my wife thought that I wanted a freshwater and saltwater tank at home. When she heard that I was good converting the fresh to salt she was all for it! She said she actually prefers saltwater! Let the build begin!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Since I only get one I've got to do this right. I'll start writing up some plans tomorrow.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I've already thought of several problems that could cause some delays.
I want to set up a basement sump, but all of my tools currently occupy the space where the sump and equipment would go.
The wiring in this house is a mess. The outlets I would be using for the tank I am certain would be overloaded by the additional equipment.
I am also thinking of running halides but due to the location of the tank I want to keep the hood. So halides will really heat things up.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Plus I will need lots of equipment.
Skimmer
Lights
Custom overflow
Custom sump
Return pump
Power heads
Plumbing
Calcium reactor or dosing equipment

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Even with a hood, with a basement sump, the halides will not hear your tank. The heat will be welcome. My heaters run even on the hottest days. I wish I had a hood to keep some heat in.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Dr.HarlemTutu;365437 said:
Even with a hood, with a basement sump, the halides will not hear your tank. The heat will be welcome. My heaters run even on the hottest days. I wish I had a hood to keep some heat in.
That's good to know. I hadn't really thought about the cooler basement.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Here is the tank as it is currently set up. Behind the half wall is the basement where I already have a big Z-rack that can hold a frag tank, top off, mixing tanks, and sump.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

The stand is a standard pine stand which has been painted the same color as the library tank stand at school. I added knobs and made a custom canopy to match. It has two doors on the front but is also hinged so that the front third flips up.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Right now here are my tentative plans.
Lights: 2-250 watt single ended MH 2-54 watt T-5's
Circulation: 2-wp40's or something comparable
Overflow: Synergy ghost overflow
Return pump: Reeflo Dart
Refugium: 20 long
Frag Tank: 40 breeder
Sump: something simple to house heaters, probes, skimmer, and reactors. Not sure on size but I'm not too worried about this. Maybe just a Rubbermaid stock tank.
QT: 40 breeder
Skimmer: not sure. Maybe an ASM G-4 or similar probably used
My plan is to have the overflow go into the fuge and frag tank and the into the sump. I may leave space in the sump for more macro as a 20 isn't that big. We will see. Right now it's all up in the air as I need to get all of the stuff out of the basement and add a breaker box to add outlets in the basement for this project. I am sure I am missing something but I will adjust as my plans do.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Getting a BRS RODI and JBJ ATO. I will probably use a spare 29 as an reservoir and another as a saltwater mixing tank. Planning on mixing only 20 gallons of saltwater at a time so that would work perfectly. Plus I have two spare tanks laying around.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;367162 said:
as for power heads get 2x rw-15's they have a nice wider flow than the wp's.
I was actually thinking those or the Aquamedics.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looks like ASM G-4X will be the skimmer and 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank will be the sump. Also picked up the 2-250 watt lights today. This is coming together quicker than I anticipated.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Now to have someone wire in a second breaker box in the basement to run some electrical.