125 stocking (need movement)

monkey4life

Cleaner Shrimp
Looking to finish stocking my 125. Currently it has 3 clowns, one yellow tail damsel, and a tomnini tang. Wanting to add some movement/color for my 1 year old to enjoy. previously i had 9 damsels (various sizes/colors), but hoping for something a little more interesting this time. Definitely wanting some sort of wrasse, a yellow watchman, maybe a basslet, and a 'show' fish. My rub is that I really cant justify more than $10-$20 per fish at this point. This is a LOW maintenance tank (I.E. i have to do water changes and clean the glass. everything else is automated) So no anthias, or fish that cant take pellet/flake foods.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a wonderful 6 line wrasse that is always moving. Lots of color and fairly inexpensive. I occasionally hear of people not liking them, but I've only had good luck.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
A couple Blue reef chromis, jawfish, gobies and maybe a blenny, generally would be in that price range and adds a good range of interest

Thanks Guys. Based on your input i'll be going for: (2) Chromis, (1) yellow watchman, (1) canary blenny, (1) 6line wrasse/Fairy wrasse, and (2) sapphire damsels. That should leave me with enough capacity for a single larger fish. Maybe a foxface or another tang?

Slight change based on further research:

(5) Chromis (based on others expierence this is a calculated risk in a 125. probably will work, might not) The idea is agression from other fish keeps aggression between chromis nil. the 6line and damsels should keep them on thier toes enough to prevent a kill off.
(1) Yellow watchman
(1) Starry blenny
(1) 6-line wrasse
(2) Azure damsels

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya the blue reef chromis I think generally do slightly better then blue green chromis, but there is always the possibility that they will slowly pick each other off.
Good choice with the starry too, they are awesome fish and can hold their ground around all the others, plus they are algae eaters.

SynDen;n656460 said:
Ya the blue reef chromis I think generally do slightly better then blue green chromis, but there is always the possibility that they will slowly pick each other off.
Good choice with the starry too, they are awesome fish and can hold their ground around all the others, plus they are algae eaters.
If they were a little less pricey and easier to find i'd consider them. Also bigger. After digging online, it seems the aggression is entirely based on tank size and stocking. I'll certainly be posting my experience with a group this size.

Well we went to the fish crew and my wife fell in love with the yellow tang, and my daughter kept going back to the damsels. So. 2 yellow tails and yellow tang are in a 29gal qt right now. (Old sump tank lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk