180 build thread!!!

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Logan and I scored a 180 and we're super excited to get it up and running. It's drilled, which is actually sort of a pain for this, since I'm doing a peninsula tank. Unfortunately for us, we're still college students so we take what we can get and we'll make it work. The tank and stand are in pretty good condition, but require a lot of TLC before we can even think of filling it up.

As you can see, the back is painted blue. Spray painted, actually, which means that it would have taken roughly the rest of my life to take the paint off with a scraper. Solution: my very favorite solvent, acetone! Toluene and ethanol can suck it (yes, Logan and I both work in labs, thus my having a solvent preference).

Two hours and a bottle of acetone later, all the tank needs is a thorough scrubbing till the glass is clean. While I tackled the painted back, Logan took apart the bulkheads and cleaned out the overflows. The previous owner had used this tank for 6 years, and I don't know if there was an owner before that, but the smell of the primordial ooze that had built up in the overflows suggested that it had been there for a while. Or that it was full of fish poo. Whatever.

The next challenge will be the stand. Lots of changes that we're gonna make there, and I will post updates as we get the work done. Here's what it looks like now. We also have a 40 gallon sump that will require some minimal cleaning. Does anyone know how long miracle mud can sit without it getting really, really nasty? We might have to replace that...

My stocking list includes everything from my 72 gallon currently
Sailfin tang
Diamond Goby
Copperbanded Butterfly (picking up Friday, I hope he takes to the tank well!)
Target mandarin
Evil ocellaris clownfish (hopefully with a mate by then)
Firefish

I'm hoping to add:
A harem of Bartlett's Anthias
Purple Tang
Achilles Tang
Pair of blue star leopard wrasses?
Tiger Jawfish?

Any other suggestions?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you want a peninsula tank you could move one of the overflows to the other corner and drill the back of the tank, cover the holes from the existing spot.... Nice score!

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
miracle mud has a life of 2 years in an up and running tank, get rid of it now while you can easily.
Looks like a pretty big project, cant wait to see the progress

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad you guys made quick work of the blue paint. Can't wait to see this turn into a room divider in your place.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punjab

Angel Fish
Sweet score! The only issue I see with your stocking list is the achilles. If you got a really small one the size wouldn't be such a big deal for a few years but the aggression in those fish is always there. You'd probably have to refer to your sailfin as a slashedfin.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks great. Make sure you see the butterfly eat frozen food or yours may starve like mine did... it was horrible to watch

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cris has had him at aquatic art for a few weeks now and he was looking great and eating like a pig last week when we checked on him, I don't remember what he was eating but that is at least something.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's going pretty well. We decided that we didn't like the stand that it came with because it was short and water damaged. So we decided that we're building a new one from scratch. Considering that neither Logan nor I have any real experience with this kind of thing we're just winging it. It's almost done though, hopefully. I'll try to get some pics up later this week.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all, the stand is almost finished and will be ready to be moved up into the house this weekend. The tank is ready too! That said, are there 3-4 people who might be willing to come over and help carry some really heavy stuff up some stairs on Saturday? There could easily be some home-brewed liquid persuasion, as well as some brownies (just the regular kind). Thanks!

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What city do you live in?

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I could help Saturday afternoon, hoping that I get done with work by 1:00....

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Text me the time and I'll be there, as long as you don't mind my little girl coming along too. Can't wait to see this in your place.

Drew

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just ordered 150 lbs of rocks and 160 lbs of sand from MarcoRocks... the rocks have already shipped! Can't wait to start my rock scaping; I'm using the marco glue stuff because the whole rockscape is going to be in the middle and we saw from Logan's little tank what falling rock can do.

On another note, does anyone have any bioballs they aren't using? I think that I need some to go in my skimmer.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang, that's quick turn around for rock. PM Aaron as I think he has some bio balls.

Drew

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, so the build is progressing fairly well. The stand that we got was not impressive, so we decided to make a new one from scratch. Now, it is important to note at this point that I am not an experienced carpenter with gobs of useful tools at my disposal. I am an engineering student with a dremel tool and a drill. It is also important to note that I pretty much made this up as I went. We made the frame out of 2x6s and it is super sturdy. From there we put on siding and trim (short explanation for a long story). The stain is red mahogany, and it's sealed with several thick coats of polyurethane sealant. Overall I'm quite proud of it.

Finally some hard-working guys did some very heavy lifting and the tank and stand are both in the apartment! The tank is currently soaking with water and vinegar to remove some corraline algae stains. The "back" has some pretty big scratches, but overall it looks better than I thought it would now that there's water in it.

Next up is cleaning out the sump and doing some plumbing. My rock and putty get here tomorrow and my sand shipped today, so those will follow shortly after that. Once the sand and rock are in, I'll start the cycle and start saving up for lights. It will probably be a few months from now that we get to move on because a)AI Sols are expensive and b)we're getting married and that takes lots of time and money. So stay tuned for the next exciting installment, whenever we get to it!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey, I recognize that from some where. Lol. Looks good. If you need help moving the rock text me.

Drew