1st day in anemone (before/after) + what is this?

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
[Posted this in my build thread also, but need some advice]
Today was the first day my clowns found out what an anemone is.... I was worried this day would never come since the anemone and clowns are both tank raised..
So was very relieved and excited.

However, this evening I came home (not even 3hrs after taking the BEFORE picture) to find my anemone completely deflated.
I have seen it do this before on a purge cycle, but never this severe.... Will have to see how it recovers in the next few hours.

While the anemone is deflated I found a sac like formation attached to the wall next to it. It looks almost like something a large spider would make... so I took my chopsticks (what is use to spot feed silversides to anemone) and poked at the sac, which is scraped off and now is being eaten by hermits. Anyone seen something like this? There was a translucent tube, like a polyp underneath it (not sure the two are related).

BEFORE

AFTER

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
That pic isn't too far off from what I scraped away. Maybe it is an algae growing that doesn't get much light?
Ever seen a caterpillar make a silk cocoon? That is what this looked like, except it wasn't sticky, it was flakey.