220g lighting options

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im just getting done polishing up my 220g aquarium and looking to start ordering equipment. The only problem i have no idea on what size of light to go with. Im looking to go with metal halides because i would like this tank to be a sps dominant tank. So my questions to all the members would be. What brand of reflector is best? 250w or 400w? what brand of ballist? Also how many 2 or 3?

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MTMJR1992;365345 said:
81" l x 21w x 30"h
400w 20k radiums or 10k/20k twinarc with lumenbright small reflectors and luxcore 400w select a watt ballast or reefbrites dimmable ballast. And reefbright xho accent.

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;365346 said:
400w 20k radiums or 10k/20k twinarc with lumenbright small reflectors and luxcore 400w select a watt ballast or reefbrites dimmable ballast. And reefbright xho accent.
Whats the best place to order from?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely 3 pendants. And I do think the minis would be mandatory with 21 front to back. I have seen quite a few tank with t5 add on to mh and I really like that look as well. I'm changing out to LED from t12 now. I run the 400 radiums now but am wanting less blue surprisingly so I'm talking to reefbrite now about their twin arcs.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Light penetration is killer with the 400 but I just checked par after 6 months and the drop off is insane. Same spot at the top middle of the tank went from 650 to 590...... Not too thrilled about that so looking into other bulbs.