3d printing parts for the aquarium ?

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
I am thinking of 3d printing venturi valves or flow accelerators for my tank .
would this safe ? was thinking of using nylon or white abs .

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
as a general nylon and abs are reef safe , right? I would have to look into any additives or dyes that might be in the plastics also

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya depends on what material but many 3d plastics are reef safe. Crotalus has been making ingenious new frag plugs and other reef related tools with 3d printers. I'm sure he could provide some insight

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Most plastics are generally safe. PLA, ABS, PTE, polycarbonate and nylon have all been used in marine tanks without deleterious effects. Most aquariums have pumps, canisters, baskets, etc made of these plastics. I'd be a little cautious about the newer plastics like the rubbery filaments, even though I'd guess they're probably also fine.

There was a small amount of evidence that resin based (liquid) 3D printing material affected fish when used in large quantities, like keeping small fish in containers made of those plastics. I can't imagine a part as small as a venturi having a noticeable effect though.

Both Nylon and ABS have been used forever, I really wouldn't worry about it.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My new 3d printer uses PLA, and it is supposedly food safe (GRAS - Generally Regarded as Safe).....but the article I read on it stated the issue wasn't necessarily with the filament it was with the print head. The only "safe" print heads would be made of Stainless Steel, and there are very few of those. I guess the point they were getting at was the print head would impart impurities into your otherwise food safe filaments.

On a side note I got my kids the 3d printer for xmas and it is awesome! Today I am printing a beard edging and trimming guide tool!