40gal Rimless Breeder

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
crustytheclown;79825 said:
thanks yall. I just got a couple more frags today from d+g pets. They survived the bike commute through gnarly harmony traffic and are getting settled now. Some pretty good deals down there right now. I got a purple monti frag and a sick blue acro frag 1" for $10 each. They had just gotten some nice big colorful colonies in, and apparently had to split one up to fit in their tank. A couple little pieces fell on their frag rack and i asked and they said that it was black frag $10. Oh and i also picked up my first fish for this tank! Firefish Goby, awesome little fish :) Ill try to post some pics later.
Cool man! Do you háve a top? Firefish are jumpers I think.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thought id post up some pics of the coral i got over the weekend from Rocky's Pride and ReefStock!
Acropora ???

Derasa Clam

Mary Janes

Millipora

Sunset Montipora

Magician Palys

Orange Crush Acan

Acropora ???

RainBow Acan

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
so some of my corals have browned out a bit since putting them in my tank, ive heard that they will do this until they get used to the lighting. I am using t5s right now and am pretty sure most where grown out under MH? Not sure just guessing that most suppliers grow their corals out under MH. I bought some acros from Gonzos Coral Frags and ReefKoi. Does anyone know what they are using to light there frag tanks. I know at the ReefStock most booths were using LED lighting, but i think that was just for the show, IDK?
So anyway i was wondering how long they stay browned out before coloring back up? I was also messing around the other day and i put a K2 Viper 150w MH on my 40gal, just to see what it looked like and decide if i wanted to light the tank with MH rather than t5s. I was going to use the t5s first to see how i liked them, since i have never tried them before and the fixture came with my tank when i bought it. I must say that i REALLY liked the look of the tank lit by MH more than the t5s! The shimmer is great in a rimless tank! Also my black sand was kind of twinkling like diamonds from the light! RAD! So i think im going to take the t5s off and set it up with MH. I have a couple questions though.
1. For light acclimating my corals from t5 to MH, i was thinking of cutting back the light schedule to like an hour at first and increasing the time on by like 15min per day until i got up to about 6 hours or so. Does that sound like a good way to acclimate the corals?
2. I have 2 JBJ K2 Viper 150w MH light fixtures. Would using both of them on a 40gal breeder be too much light? I dont think it would especially with heading down the sps road.
3. Is there any other things i should do when making the switch over from t5s to MH?

P.S I will be selling a AquaMedic 4x39watt, 36inch, 163watt fixture w/ (used for one month) new Giesemann bulbs(Actinic+, Aquablue+, Midday, PureActinic) Nice fixture that works flawlessly. Ill post it soon!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about the browning. Josh uses a 250 MH over his SPS tank, ReefKoi has a huge 1000 MH (I think). Are you saving up for some LEDs down the road? I don't see anything wrong with your way of acclimation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
leds would be sick, but i already have two 150w mh that i really should be utilizing on this new tank. I might wait a bit for the prices of leds to go down a bit, which i think they will.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
havent been updating this thread enough lately. Uhhhhh......... summer! Anyway i now have a midas blenny, a flame angel, a blue/green chromis and a firefish in this tank. Gonna keep it pretty slim on corals at this point. I think i rushed in too quick on a non mature system and lost quite a few corals. I just dont think the tank is mature enough for harder corals. Ill post some pics soon!