500ML vodka into tank

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Okay so hooked up another skimmer and cleaned out the main one. Did 100 gallons so far water change.

This pics are about ten minutes after starting them back up.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

NickP

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Damn man ...just saw this so sorry to hear. If there's anything I can do to help just text me. Hope everything pulls thru!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is there stuff hanging in there?

Keep fighting.

Once you think that you are near the end, then you have to prepare for a N and P bloom. The bacteria that you don't skim out will die in the tank and while hopefully you can handle the ammonia and nitrite, the nitrate and P could be an issue. ...so have lots of water change water on hand, maybe some GFO, keep changing the carbon and keep the skimmer super clean so that it can get as much out as it can.

jda123;n668715 said:
Run as much carbon as you can. I would fill every reactor that you can find with it. Change more water as soon as you can mix it up. Do you have an extra skimmer than you can put on there?

What will happen is that your bacteria will grow rapidly - mostly waterborne and bacteria near the surface. They might be limited a bit by available nitrate and phosphate, but plenty P can unbind from the aragonite for a near limitless source. The growth can use up all of the oxygen which can kill almost everything. Once a few things start to die from the lack of oxygen (this includes bacteria), then the ammonia comes which starts the nasty cycle of a crash. I hope that it does not get here. f you have any prized stuff, see if you can run the corals to a friends house or another tank.

Not that this helps now, but you should dose this by hand. If you forget for a few days, then no harm is really done...

^^^ this - I would not hook up vodka to a doser. I dose mine by hand. :(

Hope the tank pulls through though...

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Jda123, yes everything seems good I have three skimmers going. Buying more carbon and the floating biological seems to be out. I've been aerating all the tanks and into the sump and it seems to have helped with the low O2 levels.

I haven't seen an ammonia spike yet but I'll keep testing for the start of the nitrogen cycle. FINGERS CROSSED.

This is what I get for trying to automate everything. There is such a thing as to much.

So far I have only lost my red planet, my pods and invertebrates are all still alive.

Sctip;n668826 said:
Jda123, yes everything seems good I have three skimmers going. Buying more carbon and the floating biological seems to be out. I've been aerating all the tanks and into the sump and it seems to have helped with the low O2 levels.

I haven't seen an ammonia spike yet but I'll keep testing for the start of the nitrogen cycle. FINGERS CROSSED.

This is what I get for trying to automate everything. There is such a thing as to much.

So far I have only lost my red planet, my pods and invertebrates are all still alive.
let's hope you keep the losses to a minimum. I have had automation issues in the past, so I was reassured to read in the 'share the knowledge thread', things like "don't make changes before going on vacation" - I remember trying to talk my daughter through an ATO malfunction that dumped a whole brute of RODI into the tank. You're fortunate this was noticed quite quickly I think.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good news so far. You are not nearly out of it yet, but the better job that you do now, the better off you will be later. I am glad that you got the fish out - they are very quick to die with from oxygen issues.

Some day, when you are well past this, we can talk automation or lack-thereof...

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
jda123;668948 said:
Good news so far. You are not nearly out of it yet, but the better job that you do now, the better off you will be later. I am glad that you got the fish out - they are very quick to die with from oxygen issues.

Some day, when you are well past this, we can talk automation or lack-thereof...
Absolutely, I'm always up to see what has been done and worked well. And others stories of efforts. I'm new to the Apex scene, but trying to learn. I've been thinking about building a PLC for this but would have as much money into the hardware afterwards as just using an apex. Which can do what I need/want it to. At least I think so.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You won't hear much from me for automation. CaRx is the most automation that I will use - it would take a month for it to mess up a tank if it stopped working or was generating too much output, and since I check alk at least every other day, it is easy to catch. I don't even use a ATO, I turn a ball valve above the tank and wait there for 10-15 seconds while the tank fills and then turn it back off. There are two types of ATO, IMO... those that have failed and those that will, but at least most of them fail "off" now, which is good. I always argue to automate nothing - lamp/light timers and CaRx is enough for me. I just don't trust hobby-grade sensors, floats, etc. I also find that taking a look at least once a day will also keep me more in tune to what my tank needs.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Bdk1786;669207 said:
How's the recovery going Scott?
It's going good, I dipped a bunch of coral and did another water change. Somehow I burnt through two chambers of DI so I need to order more. Everything looks like it is getting back to normalish so this I will take.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got extra salt and DI if you need and a dual BRS reactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk