A Million Questions.....

I wont start by asking them all right now....Lets start with this one....How much and how often do I change water? and why.

:cigar: Cool icon, I like cigars.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your going to get a million different answers.

I change 20% every 2 weeks. Why, to help remove nutrients and replenish trace elements.

Some will say never, some will say less, some will say more.

Welcome to MASC.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;158622 said:
Your going to get a million different answers.

I change 20% every 2 weeks. Why, to help remove nutrients and replenish trace elements.

Some will say never, some will say less, some will say more.

Welcome to MASC.
I think 20 - 30% ever other week is the general rule of thumb. Like DJKMS said though, you'll get tons of different answers as there are many different methodologies to reefkeeping :)

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was changing my water in my biocube about once a month and that was to help replenish trace elements and add clean water for happy corals and fish.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My machine automatically changes 3 gallons a day (broken down into 192 second intervals)...tee hee..I'm lazy

I was thinkin 15% every 3 weeks.....right or wrong?
My reasoning is all about convenience, 15% = 10 gal. and a visit every 3 weeks to the water store is enough. Please feel free to tell me whats wrong (or right).
As of now my calcium levels are low, about 210ppm, could that be part of the problem?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
HammerT;158632 said:
I was thinkin 15% every 3 weeks.....right or wrong?
My reasoning is all about convenience, 15% = 10 gal. and a visit every 3 weeks to the water store is enough. Please feel free to tell me whats wrong (or right).
As of now my calcium levels are low, about 210ppm, could that be part of the problem?
I mean, there's not really a "right or wrong" there's just rules of thumb. If you're changing 15% every three weeks and all of your parameters are in line then you're fine. Changing water less often _probably_ means you'll have to supplement more often.

Alkalinity has been running around 11. I dont know Mag levels.
Maybe I'll try 10 gals every other week for a while and see what happens.
Thanks for the info all, I'm sure you'll see me around.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HammerT;158664 said:
Alkalinity has been running around 11. I dont know Mag levels.
Maybe I'll try 10 gals every other week for a while and see what happens.
Thanks for the info all, I'm sure you'll see me around.
Even at that it may not be enough for levels to bounce back. What salt are you using? Also what are all your levels kh Ca and mag?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Howdy and welcome to the club!

I'll be honest here and say that I only do about a 15-20% water change in my 28g Nano every month AND I don't dose or supplement anything. ALL my good frags and corals are in this tank and do awesome. I have everything from SPS, LPS and softies. My SPS has actually grown more quickly than my other frags. I probably don't get the growth I could if I did more water changes, but still...haven't had any issues with keeping things happy for the most part. Lots of factors, but a stable and established tank is probably the most important. IMHO

MartinsReef;158666 said:
Even at that it may not be enough for levels to bounce back. What salt are you using? Also what are all your levels ka Ca and mag?

Last night, ka = 8 and Ca = 240, I'm currently getting my water from Neptunes. I'll ask what brand of salt they are using when I stop by tonight to get water. Should I go ahead and get 15gals?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
with your calcium low I would go with about 20 gallons and next week about 20 more and see where your levels are

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;158770 said:
with your calcium low I would go with about 20 gallons and next week about 20 more and see where your levels are
I would also get a buffer for Ca and kh. Just watch your mag as it is a binder for both Ca and Kh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;158635 said:
WELCOME TODD!

What are your alk and magnesium levels at? Are you dosing anything?
I try and change 5g a week on a 60g. Why 5g? Simple, I only have one 5g bucket.
Lame excuse you know I have more than one bucket you could use. Heck I will just give you one lol.

To op I am one of those guys that rarely does water change unless you consider I skim really wet and replenish with new salt water that way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk