About Fish

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive been in there, really nice peeps! Never bought a fish though, just some equipment. It's really close to my work... I may have to stop by on my lunch to check out the deals!!

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stopping by today? Can you let me know how the picassos look?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I believe that is Mark Sherman (aka Sherman Tank)'s new store. If it's like his last store, good prices, but you roll the dice when it comes to the health of his livestock.

I just heard about this place today. I was at the Southlands Petco picking up dog food, and started talking to the fish guy. He told me about Mark and swears this is the best place to go. I'm going to run recon on Saturday.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep... this is Marc's new (open about 6-8 months now) store. Marc has been running fish store's in Denver since before I started keeping marine fish, and that was 30 years ago. If memory serves, this is his 8th store... though I may have missed one or two along the way.

Marc has always been known for his low prices and fairly decent quality.

rmougey;209937 said:
Yep... this is Marc's new (open about 6-8 months now) store. Marc has been running fish store's in Denver since before I started keeping marine fish, and that was 30 years ago. If memory serves, this is his 8th store... though I may have missed one or two along the way.

Marc has always been known for his low prices and fairly decent quality.
Why so many stores?

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Property managers are a fickle bunch. Marc always looks for the best bargain... wanna raise my rent... Ha! Just move. Everybody always manages to find him where ever he goes. When you are operating a business on a shoestring, sometimes it's important to be able to move quickly. The name of the business may change, but it's still Marc Sherman's place.

Ran up there today. Place was busy. He had a Broncos sale so, if there was orange or blue in the fish it was 20% off. Some fish looked poor, others looked fine. I'm concerned about buying fish, that are on the same filtration system as the sick ones. Thus, I didn't buy any fish. I did get some live rock for $2.49LB, but it still needs time to cure.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've gotten 4 or 5 fish from this place in the last couple months and they're all doing great.

If you get on their mailing list, they'll announce pre-order sales and/or buy-in-the-bag sales once in while. When they do this, you can get fish/inverts for less expensive than online vendors, and without the shipping. I think it's a pretty good deal.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bump* of old posts as About Fish is still in business. We like the prices on rock and they also have some nice purple coralline as well that has helped us seed our tank. Mark Sherman is a wealth of info, but said that this store is not in a "saltwater economic area" which is true so mostly has tropical with a full aisle of saltwater fish, frags, and live rock etc. We enjoy going there and prefer his live rock as it is cheaper and tends to have huge variety of sizes and shapes. He also sells Monday night at a discount for anyone willing to take something home directly home from the shipment he receives that night. We have bought fish and coral there and had no problems.

I will say that if you are looking for pristine tanks, full on air conditioning and good background tunes this is not the place for you. Mark is old school but a good guy with a wealth of info. In addition, we like to spend our dollars locally whenever possible.

I've known Marc Sherman (About Fish) since 1983! He's been back in business for about four years now. He and I have been in competition for each other since 1983. Marc and I've been enemies to friends and everything in between for the last 31 years! Marc has always had good price and a great selection of freshwater fish. BUT Marc will be the first one to tell you, that saltwater is NOT his favorite thing! So take it as it is!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looked like a half decent place to get saltwater fish anyway. Since its in an area that very few people would own a saltwater tank, he doesnt sell them very often and they sit there for months. At least you know that you are getting a fish that would have already died of a disease if it had one. Kinda reminded me of the fish den. Tanks could use a bit of cleaning and frag selection was terrible, but the fish all looked happy and healthy (especially the freshwater ones)

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mark Sherman has always been a great guy to deal with in my experience. He has always been overly honest about his business. If you need any dry goods or equipment he'll tell you what he gets it for and mark it up 10% if you pay cash. He even sells 225g buckets of salinity for 69$. Not to make money but to have a better price than everyone else. I've spent a lot of time in there talking to him. He says his main focus isn't in saltwater but in freshwater. He says freshwater "pays the rent". If you don't mind paying in advance and waiting he will always have the BEST prices on any dry goods. Tanks, lights, bulbs, salt, chemicals, you name it. Plus ro for only 25 cents a gallon and premixed tropic marin salt for 1$. Which is a high end salt.

I've never had problems with any livestock from him.