About to buy 165W chinese led lights

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I just want your thoughts on the 165W Chinese LED lights, it will be going over my 55G tank 30"W X 24"T X 18"D.

I do have some SPS and from what I can tell it should be more than enough light for my tank. Thoughts?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep SPS will def grow under these lights (maybe not rapid fast like t5s or halides) but yes it will grow and be fine :p

* How many lights you planning to buy? 1 or 2?

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
How will LPS and Softies do, i have seen the Kessils and love the light from them, and this is what I can afford.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sctip;353387 said:
How will LPS and Softies do, i have seen the Kessils and love the light from them, and this is what I can afford.
Softies and LPS will do just fine with 1 unit (obviously your outer edges will be much weaker with light). SPS will do ok +/- as long as you center it under light and have higher up in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
CRW Reef;353389 said:
Softies and LPS will do just fine with 1 unit. SPS will do ok +/- as long as you center it under light and have higher up in the tank.
That's good to know. I'll get one now and then I'll use this argument to get another one. Lol. Thanks CRW.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on the 2 lights. You will need one light for each 24inches of tank length. If you have any concerns about the ability to grow coral check out my build thread.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can get away with one. I had a 120W over my 75 gallon and the corals did ok. They didnt really grow fast, but slowly, they did. Just know that it is better to go with 2, but you can get by with one.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
coastalJ;354921 said:
I think I'm going to put three of these over my 125g long.
I have the older versions over my tank if you ever want to come check out my tank in Loveland. I can recommend a specific eBay seller who has had great customer service and repairs bad units in the US, so no shipping to china if one fails.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
coastalJ;354955 said:
Do you get the shimmer effect like halides? If so, I'm in....I'd love to take a look at your setup. Are you around today?
I work today but I'll be home all day Sunday. There is shimmer, less then a more concrete light source like a kessel pendent, but it does shimmer.

CRW Reef;353388 said:
IMO 1 light is not enough esp if you are talking about these lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Dimmab...PS-/190999433320?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

With them only being 15" wide, you would have to raise them up pretty good to get one to cover the entire tank. Problem with this is you will loose PAR.
How high do you run yours from the tank?
ReeferMatt;354929 said:
I have the older versions over my tank if you ever want to come check out my tank in Loveland. I can recommend a specific eBay seller who has had great customer service and repairs bad units in the US, so no shipping to china if one fails.