Acro Eating Flat Worms

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
AEFW are so transparent, seeing them is the first challenge. I have strong flow, and will actively seek out and kill any. I am more and more leaning towards option one, fighting this in tank and pulling out what to dip every coral that can be impacted. I know this isn't going to be easy, but the journey begins.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Acro Eating Flat Worms

Plus 1 on the wrasse solution. You could dip everything you can get out. Siphon out all the other bad bugs you can and then get 2 or three wrasses. Turkey baster daily to stir up the bugs for the wrasses. I do think you can live with, eradicate flat worms this way!

Good luck man! I hope I never have to deal with it! I do have 4 wrasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You had them covered as Leopard Wrasses...

Take a mag 5 or 7 and just blow all over/around the acros while holding it in your hand. Those things make quite the flow if you use them as a powerhead.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you can get 'em in the water column, the reef safe triggers will swim by and eat them, which helps a little bit.

Don't be discouraged. The wrasses and a few power-headings (I just made that up) a day will get you back under control pretty quickly.

If you need to borrow some stuff to set up a 2nd tank for your backup frags, then let me know. I have 50-240G laying around unused with plenty of heaters, tunze, mags, halides and the works. The stuff just sits here waiting to be used in backup.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
REALLY APPRECIATE all the feedback every one!!! When I get a break here, I'm going to start calling around for the wrasses to get them tonight. Need to read up a bit more on the Bayer dip. Once I get a few wrasses, I'll start blowing - then move to pullin, and dipping as soon as I'm comfortable. A good thing is the Tunze's and also the Jaebo all easily disconnect from the mounting brackets so I can use them to blow off the worms.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok, need to ask. I don't want to introduce ICK, are wrasses a type of fish that don't transmit ICK. I would be so upset if my powder blue got ick from me throwing in new fish... always something to consider.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any fish can transport ich, especially in their gills. Wrasses are not so much carriers (typically) on their bodies. Wrasses are hard and sometimes you just have to take the risk - most don't do copper or hypo very well, so QTing them is quite hard. I am a big-time QT guy and I just typically drop leopards into the display.

You can start blowing the worms off right now. Even though the fish likely won't eat them, it will give the acros some relief.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;249829 said:
Any fish can transport ich. Wrasses are not so much carriers (typically) on their bodies.
+1

In my case, my Powder blue gets ick anytime I add fish in my tank just because he is a pansy and cant handle more fish coming in on his turf. But after 2 weeks of garlic soaked nori he is back to his usual self. Keep that in mind if your PB gets ick :p too bad there isn't a surefire cure to tangs being ick magnets :p

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Acro Eating Flat Worms

So sorry to hear you are having to fight this outbreak. Just goes to show us all that it can happen to anyone. You are one of the people that have taught me how important dipping and qt are, and I again thank you for that. I have used bayer and the yellow coris wrasse in my last tank with great success. If there is anything that I can do, please let me know.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave, I have a lubbocks fairy wrasse that absolutely loves flatworms. I had some benign flatworms appear in my cube a while back, and any time I lifted a frag plug off of the sandbed, he would immediately swim up to my hand and pick the flatworms right off the bottom of the plug.

I had been debating selling him before moving my current fish over to the new cube...only because my stock list is at it's limit and I have been wanting to pick up a mystery wrasse. Let me know if you're interested at all...~3 inches and healthy. Never had any fish diseases in my tank, and I just put all of those fish through a round of prazi-pro as a preventive measure before moving them to the new cube. Catching him should be a breeze since he eats out of my hand. ;)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That super sucks man. I wish I had some helpful advice. I had them about a year ago I think not sure on the time frame any more. I treated the tank with flatworm exit which did eventually get them all but I also lost 2/3rds of everything I had.

Good luck!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;249841 said:
Dave, I have a lubbocks fairy wrasse that absolutely loves flatworms. I had some benign flatworms appear in my cube a while back, and any time I lifted a frag plug off of the sandbed, he would immediately swim up to my hand and pick the flatworms right off the bottom of the plug.

I had been debating selling him before moving my current fish over to the new cube...only because my stock list is at it's limit and I have been wanting to pick up a mystery wrasse. Let me know if you're interested at all...~3 inches and healthy. Never had any fish diseases in my tank, and I just put all of those fish through a round of prazi-pro as a preventive measure before moving them to the new cube. Catching him should be a breeze since he eats out of my hand. ;)

How much? and pics?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sent ya a PM on the wrasse. Thanks, I'm almost out of work for the day. This job thing is getting in the way of my hobby - haha

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
haha yea, he's a great fish. Since the new build is going to be a nem tank, my concern over flatworms as pests is pretty non-existent. I have been hesitant to get rid of him...my only reason was wanting some varied color since I'll probably be adding anthias species with very similar coloration.

As generous as Dave's been with unloading frags from his tank, potentially helping him resolve an AEFW outbreak seemed like a great reason to rehome the lubbocks.

pm replied Dave.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
if you are getting anthias, you should either get bartlett's anthias, queen anthias, lyretail, or sunburst anthias :p

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave,

Sorry to hear!! After you get things rebuilt, please let me know and you can swing by here and I'll frag some of my SPS for you.