Acrylic-safe stainless steel cleaning blade?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't exist, right??

I'm going to preface this by saying that I've probably scratched the outside of my tank more than anything while using the Flipper magnetic cleaner...nothing horrible, and of course polishing the outside is easy...but it's still annoying seeing that scratch on the acrylic after you move the magnet.

On the inside of the tank I use the mesh from a Dobie pad with the magnetic cleaner stuck inside of it...I use the dobie pad on the soft side of the flipper cleaner, and it does a great job and I haven't had issues scratching the acrylic. When I get stubborn coralline, I remove the dobie pad, flip the magnet over to the "hard side", and use the plastic acrylic blade. But...as anybody with even the slightest bow to their acrylic tank can tell you...cleaning those corners is a &*&^%, and that bottom inch next to the sand is always nerve-racking.

With a 32" deep tank, getting in there with a credit card in my hand was difficult at best...and I tried attaching the old credit card to some make-shift holder with rubberbands...and it sorta worked, but was still a PITA. Fast forward to this past weekend and I decided to pop the metal blade on the flipper to see what would happen. I moved the magnet to an inconspicuous corner with the pad sad down, then flipped to the blade side. It took 1 slow move of the magnet to cut a 1" series of scratches..but luckily it's in the back corner so no big deal.

Decided to give this a whirl:

http://www.petco.com/product/108251...Tool-for-Glass-Aquariums.aspx#description-tab

I had this laying around as I previously used the tool with a credit card attached to to the end to get those problem areas. They recommend this for glass only...but I tried the stainless steel blade on there and it did great! No scratches at all. It's an extremely flexible blade and is much more forgiving than I expected. I was able to scrub huge portions of coralline of my back wall...and safely cleaned the corners and bottom inch of my tank with no scratches.

Just wanted to share in case anybody else is having acrylic cleaning woes. Used with some common sense, I think that blade is a solid option. Also worth mentioning...if you don't like magnetic cleaners on your acrylic...the velcro attachment on that tool adheres extremely well to the dobie pad mesh :) I've since solved my scratches on the outside of the tank by putting some microfiber cloth underneath the magnet on the outside (and spraying down the acrylic with RO), but still only use the magnet for convenience. If my tank were more conducive to using that cleaning tool...I'd drop the magnet altogether; eurobracing and my scape make the magnet a must.

(Not a paid actor...just a genuine happy reefer) :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the petco fixed flexible blade unit and it was great until it got a tiny bit bent and I ended up scratching the inside of my rsm. It worked great until it got bent on one corner, I would suggest tossing it when this happens.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
By far the best thing to use on an acrylic tank for coraline and algae is a credit card HTH.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;303660 said:
I have the petco fixed flexible blade unit and it was great until it got a tiny bit bent and I ended up scratching the inside of my rsm. It worked great until it got bent on one corner, I would suggest tossing it when this happens.
Good to know...I check mine before each use and have had to straighten the corners back out a few times.

Knock on wood...but I've been using this blade for the past ~3-4 months without issue. I use the magnetic cleaner at least weekly...then the blade once a month when the corners and bottom edge start to look a little distracting.

I think the credit card would work if I didn't have to get shoulder deep in my tank to clean the bottom lol. I feel like keeping the blade/credit card completely perpendicular to the direction you're scraping is extremely important...and when I attached the credit card to the end of the cleaning tool there was just too much play and that actually ended up scratching the tank. The thin blade has been OK so far...hopefully it holds up. :)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes the credit card must be done by hand.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

xsocali

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a 1/2"×2 1/2"×14" acrylic piece with nice sharp corners to clean.Acrylic. on acrylic don't scratch.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like I may have to DIY a new cleaning tool with replaceable acrylic blades :)

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use the kent metal scraper. Scrape one direction only and I bend the corners up so they don't dig in. I also try to lay the blade as flat as I can

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've never tried a Dobie pad. Do any of them work as long as they don't have any additives? I have the regular ones and the thinner bigger ones and they both say on the package that they aren't for aquariums...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've only tried the regular ones that come in the 3 pack. I have had zero issues with them and only use the mesh bag on the outside after a rinse...I basically cut them open and remove the sponge.

Cris Capp put me on to it...given the recommendation came from him (and he seems to have a fairly successful tank :p ) I chose to ignore the "not for aquarium use" warning on the package.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/11/...imate-aquarium-cleaning-and-maintenance-tool/

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok. That is the single greatest cleaning tool that I have ever found! I can't believe how quickly that takes crap off the acrylic. Thanks Khalis! I'll have to thanks Cris when I see him tomorrow.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I grab a box of dobie pads every time I go to the store now :)

Glad those worked out well for you; I know I was grinning ear to ear the first time I tried them lol

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea they work great! Not everyone carries them or always has them in stock so I usually grab a half dozen when I find them