Acrylic Supplier, Calfo Overflow, Drilling

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
1.) For starters, where to buy pre-built overflows, or acrylic parts? Either online or maybe a local that can cut these pieces. I've already checked: GlassHoles, Glass-Cages, etc. Would rather support a local shop though. You people that build your own sumps, where do you get the pieces? I'm not finding any prebuilt Calfos ready to go...

2.) I want a (black acrylic) internal Calfo-style overflow for a 110g. So 60" wide x 3"x3" or 4"x4"? It's a 30" tall tank, so not worried about real-estate. With the normal slot pattern across the entire length. What's the usual size?, since I've seen very few in person. Similar to this black piece, but with slots. Ignore the plumbing.

View attachment 8723 View attachment 8724 View attachment 8725

3.) Also need to have a couple pieces of clear acrylic cut to fit two tank tops, 4ft. & 5ft. long, both 18" wide. This is to keep (jumpy) critters in, and housecats with curious paws out. :) They will have a dense grid of 1/2" holes drilled for plenty of air-flow. If not acrylic, I'll just use the usual white eggcrate.

4.) Has anyone here had EliteReef, ExoticAquatics, another local shop or member drill their tanks? Since this is my first drilling venture, I'm not gonna try it myself.

Forgot to ask AquaMedic too, oops.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you wanting to add that style overflow to taht tank you won? and why? seems like a lot of drilling and load of realestate lost behind the tank when you can add an overflow and go though the bottom to achieve the same results. Just a thought.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
kmellon;186566 said:
Are you wanting to add that style overflow to taht tank you won? and why? seems like a lot of drilling and load of realestate lost behind the tank when you can add an overflow and go though the bottom to achieve the same results. Just a thought.
The bottom of the tank is tempered and can not be drilled.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Although I guess you could drill the back at the bottom, put in a traditional black over flow and then add a 90 to a durso stand pipe. Just a thought

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Just playing with ideas, while it's empty. The tank's tall enough, that it actually doesn't take up much more internal real estate than a the regular overflow box, imo. The pictures I linked are smaller tanks, so it looks like the Calfo is huge and intrusive. Yes the bottom is tempered.

I was just informed about Plasticare in Englewood. Their website sounds like they can cut the pieces I want, for low cost too. IF I went that route. Just wanna do what works best, is quietest, efficient, etc. A reef friend on SCMAS recommended investigating the C2C type as a possibility. Other possiblities are just the clunky overflow/prefilter/U-tube boxes, or a center overflow (or two corners) like CRWreef mentioned.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Internal coast-to-coast overflow with bean animal drain would be sick on that tank.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Last edited by a moderator:

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an internal coast to coast on my 240 cube with 2 durso 2" over flows. The only thing I don't like is the bracing on the tank covers most of the overflow, so it's a challenge to get my hand in there

Check out Colorado Plastics. You Can shoot them an email or check out their website http://www.coloradoplastics.com/

Extremely good prices and Drew, the President, is extremely helpful and works around the shop. Huge selection of acrylics in different colors and thicknesses.

Located in Louisville

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The way my C2C is set up is independent. Basically I have a stand alone over flow box with 2-2" bulkheads that run throught the box and out the back of the tank via Calfo style. If I wanted to , I could take the box off completely and just use the bulkheads .

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Helix;186617 said:
Check out Colorado Plastics. Extremely good prices and Drew, the President, is extremely helpful and works around the shop. Huge selection of acrylics in different colors and thicknesses.
Thanks, will do!

dvenson;186604 said:
if its a glass tank the acrylic will not glue to the glass. silicone will hold it in place but can come loose.
Yeah, that sucks. Ambrosio informed me that I probably need to get glass cut, ugh. Need to search more, I found this guy used both silicone AND epoxy to bind his acrylic to glass: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f58/island-to-island-overflow-in-125-a-63647.html

[attachment=62326:name]

More streamlined approach, very clean. But no room for Bean's (siphon/flood-safety#2) dry 3rd pipe. Also seems kinda skinny, might be too low volume depending how much flow you're pushing. Need to research more. Feel free to share links you guys find with good info! Calfo's don't seem to be very commonly used...

Last edited by a moderator: