adding fish to 90 reef

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello,
I am kind of new around here
i have a 90 gallon reef with a lifereef system (about 15 gallons) been cycled for 3 months
so about a 105 gallons total and 20 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of dry rock
and 70-95 lbs of live sand (about 1inch and a half)

my fish list
kole tang
2 clownfish
purple firefish
naso tang (he's about 2.5 inches)
banggai cardinalfish
christmas wrasse

I want to add some of this or all please help
mandarin
pawn goby
leopard wrasse so cool
maybe a pair of pipefish but kind of small and will i lost them in my 90

thanks alot
Andy Masters

Last edited by a moderator:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think a 90 could support a Mandarin and a pair of pipe fish. Do one or the other. As long as your rock work is open then you shouldn't lose the pipes. Cris from Aquatic Art has a pair in his 400+ gallon display and I can find them every time I go in there.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why not wait a little bit? For a 3 month system you sure do have a lot of fish in there (I have the same impatient issue). It's great that you're planning out your next purchases, so you avoid catastrophic mistakes.

The only issues I see with the pipes, mandarin, and wrasses is your availability of pods. Like the others said, you'll have to choose between the pod eaters. You may be able to get away with it, if you get them eating prepared foods. Outcome not looking so good though.

Sent from my DROID using Forum Runner

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Slow down Turbo :) You have added 7 fish (and a Nem) in the last 3 months, let it settle in before adding more fish. Follow the above advice about "pod hunters" and hold off for a while on new fish. This is just my opinion and you are welcome to ignore it (lets face it, I don't know your water peramiters or maintenance schedule) but remember that in this hobby "good things happen slowly, yet bad things happen all at once." and impatience is expensive :)

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I am going to have to agree with everything that has been said thus far. I would also add that you already have a christmas wrasse, so adding another wrasse would not be a real good idea. That christmas wrasse will get pretty big and even now will probably harass the leapord wrasse to no end. Stick with the christmas wrasse for now. Down the road you can add a mandarin or the pipefish, but I would let the system mature a bit more before doing so. Make sure you have PLENTY of pods. You will be amazed how quickly a mandarin can decimate the pod population in a tank. I have a 90 gallon refugium on my 90, and I am still not comfortable having more than one pod eater in my tank.

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks for the help guys
i would wait for the mandarin or pipefish i need to build a new sump i dont have a fuge.
what you guys think about the copperband butterfly?
i am going to wait for everything to settle.
i am just asking what my 90 can take.:becky:
as my peramiters go every thing is zero but Ammonia is always 0.1 then again probably user error
my ph is 8.3
cal 455
kh is 7-8

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I personally don;t think that a butterfly of any kind is a good idea in a reef tank. They are prone to nip at various corals and will kill your snails and crabs. Butterfly fish are not really reef safe and according to LiveAquaria will pick at your anemone.

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
after seeing Cris's 460 gallon tank i want every thing in it!!!!

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i just took the copperband butterfly off my list

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks those pics are out dated.
Now i have leds and more coral!