algae scrubber

So I went off tweeker style last night...
Nearly finished product.

The overall package all closed up you can hardly tell its an ATS.

Interior: There are two panes of glass to separate the flow from the lights. The glass is siliconed to the casing and the end result is the lighting is about 2.5 inches from the screen. The lighting is two 120w cfl bulbs. I left enough room to upgrade to the 150w cfl if needed, but I think they will be overkill.
The reflector was from an old pc retrofit I had in the basement, after cutting it I had exactly 36in of reflector to play with for a later date project.

Spray bar sits in the center of the casing. A 1/8 in slot with dual screens will give me 12 by 11 inches of screen lit on both sides. The dual layer screen will give faster regrowth after cleaning and more space for pod production in the center. The screens got a good roughing courteous of my hole saw.

Lighting assembly, ideally I wanna switch out the sockets for a more industrial type from depot. But since it was the middle of the night, i didnt think they would appreciate the business.
The lighting should be more than adequate for this size screen, but there is room to either upgrade to higher watt bulb, or even down grade and add multiple lower watt bulbs. Time will tell on those changes.

Input end, barbed inlet is a tad small. May change it out for a larger ID barb. Flow is still being worked on since I have an overkill pump a7 750gph and an underkill pump at 250gph.
Will be tweeking that after set up. The inlet screws into the pvc and is easy to remove if needed to allow mods to it.
The spray bar assembly is also easily removed from the casing for convenient cleaning.

Thats the build for now. Will be working on it a bit more today. Need to resilicone the glass one more time, as well as adding the drain hole and setting the waterline in the box.
Any critique or suggestions would be much appreciated.

120greefman

I think you would get your best critique from the algae scrubber site. I think it looks great and as long as you took the design from the ones that got 2 thumbs up from Santa Monica you will be in business.

120greefman;139691 said:
I think you would get your best critique from the algae scrubber site. I think it looks great and as long as you took the design from the ones that got 2 thumbs up from Santa Monica you will be in business.
Mix and match from approved designs and my own :) should be ready to get wet tomorrow

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Havent done any vids but will see what I can do. Got another layer of sillycone drying on the glass then just have the drain to drill and it will be ready. No takers on my wtb/wtt pump post in scmas so its gonna either be way to under or way to overpowered on the flow.
Was considering T ing off my 750 to run my ats and another to my biop reactor, but if they ats works out I would be needing the biop. And Im terrible at setting up multiple items on the same pump adjusting that for flow is a pita.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
dirtefish;139745 said:
Havent done any vids but will see what I can do. Got another layer of sillycone drying on the glass then just have the drain to drill and it will be ready. No takers on my wtb/wtt pump post in scmas so its gonna either be way to under or way to overpowered on the flow.
Was considering T ing off my 750 to run my ats and another to my biop reactor, but if they ats works out I would be needing the biop. And Im terrible at setting up multiple items on the same pump adjusting that for flow is a pita.
A layer of silicone on top of silicone? It'll be easy to make a manifold, you just need a T and a ball valve inline with your return.

Lol no not the top that woukd be a mess. The seams on the glass.
And I ran short on silicone so have to wait and get more grrr

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk