Anemone is shriveled with it's mouth open

Please help. I don't know if this means it is dying or what. I just got this lemondrop BTA a couple of days ago, and as of last night it looked great with nice bubble tips. It even ate the head of a silverside last night. This morning he looks like this. View attachment 13449

There are no fish in the same tank but there is a rainbow BTA in the same tank. I was told that since they are both bubble tip that I can have both of them in the same tank. Is it dying? What should I do?

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Check your water parameters. Mine does that occasionally and plumps back up.

I'm working on testing the water but I have been testing weekly and 2 days ago everything checked out. I don't have ammonia/nitrite tests, but I am almost certain that there isn't any. I'll check back in a little bit. RuRoo, I know you have quite a few nems, do you think this could be chemical warfare between the two?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Anemone is shriveled with it's mouth open

I think it getting ready to poop. But thats jmo

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

majicmike;243236 said:
I think it getting ready to poop. But thats jmo

So it could be pooping because of it having been fed twice this week? I am trying to get it to not move as I really like where it is at.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Anemone is shriveled with it's mouth open

bubbarockies;243240 said:
Well that'll be my optimistic option. :D How long does that take? Should I be worried if he is still like that for an hour or a day or what?
If hes like that in 24 hrs I would watch close but nems do things like that all the time

Ok. So apparently I was freaked out over nothing... again. He's now inflated and looking good, although may be moving, but compared to what I thought was happening I'm good with it moving around a little bit. Here is a new pic.
View attachment 13450
Thanks for the quick responses you guys.

I got a rainbow nem at reefstock, looked great the first day in my tank then looked like crap for about 24 hours now looks better then ever

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol good luck with keeping them put. mine are really happy, usually stay inflated and sprawled out all week long, except one per week ish he will shrivel up and poop. then go right back to his nice happy self. although he likes to walk around and has 3 spots he always goes to. usually spends a day or 2 in each spot.

SLewis;243273 said:
lol good luck with keeping them put. mine are really happy, usually stay inflated and sprawled out all week long, except one per week ish he will shrivel up and poop. then go right back to his nice happy self. although he likes to walk around and has 3 spots he always goes to. usually spends a day or 2 in each spot.
I have been luck, this rainbow hasent moved since it was first put in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;243246 said:
Ok. So apparently I was freaked out over nothing... again. He's now inflated and looking good, although may be moving, but compared to what I thought was happening I'm good with it moving around a little bit. Here is a new pic.

Thanks for the quick responses you guys.
He will reach out several inches to get he light and flow. I blast mine with light and flow and he still Ives out about 5" from his hole. Just basking in the sun that's all.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine was doing that daily for a while. Some of it may be backing way off on feedings or one of the tomatoes now hosting, but he doesn't really do it anymore. As others said, if it's more than 12 hours, worry. Otherwise just expelling water or taking a "hard" ****.