Anemone Lighting

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello everyone! I've had it stuck in my stubborn head that I'd like to put together an anemone tank. I know it's going to take a while to cycle and get it stable before I'm ready, but I figured I'll start out a new tank and work up to an anemone. I got a 28 gallon nano cube and am about to start cycling it. My biggest question is how much lighting to get. I think I'm going to go with HO T5's but for a tank that size I'm not sure how many lights I'll need or what bulbs. Ideally I'd like to happily house a BTA. I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO you'd be better off with a 150watt metal halide bulb. A small reflector for the DE bulb would be plenty light...and IMO the small pendant might be more aesthetically appealing than positioning a 4-bulb t5 fixture over that tank.

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
jahmic;322937 said:
IMO you'd be better off with a 150watt metal halide bulb. A small reflector for the DE bulb would be plenty light...and IMO the small pendant might be more aesthetically appealing than positioning a 4-bulb t5 fixture over that tank.
That may not be a bad idea either. You are right, a small pendant would take up a lot less real estate than a 4 bulb fixture.

Would it work just to have the one 150watt bulb over the tank? How high would I need to place it?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, lighting has always been hard for me to catch onto and I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup. 1 bulb would be fine. I had the HQI 28 gallon nanocube and it ran a 150W DE bulb. That light was built into the hood, but you could easily hang a pendant 5-6 inches from the surface of the water and still have more than enough light.

Don't worry about the questions...ask away! I'm still learning something new every day so don't feel so bad :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I run t5s on my 75 and they are great for the nems, but ya might be hard to get a 4 bulb t5 over that small of a tank. You will be able to choose more color combos with t5s though but the metal halide will do great for growing the nems too

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
20K Radium or 14K Phoneix for 150W HQI would be best-of-breed IMO. Fantastic combo. Hang it 5-6, as suggested, and there will be no heat that a simple fan cannot take care of (if you need it).