another algae scrubber but differant?

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I think I'm gonna succumb tp the whole scruber thing and I've been looking at all kinds of desighs ,updraft,down draft,waterfall,in sump ,in tank,in line, the list goes on and on and on and on lol.
So I've got the basis on how this works water moves past the screen feeding the algae withnutrients and high levels of light to promote accelerated algae growth.
I'm going to be replaceing my cheato with this scruber because I don't have room or patience for A water fall style .
I've come up with an idea for a barrel style "rolling scrubber" so the current in my sump will drive the wheel
Pics and more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the stand for the wheel is easy enough but still working on the wheel . It needs to be light and easy to service. Also has to be perfectly cemetrical so it operates smoothly?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How are you going to spin it? How are you going to get air bubbles to it, or are you going to spin it half in and half out of the water

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The top of the barrel is going to be slightly under the water suface ,the water flowng acrossed it will hopefully be enough to keep it spinning

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it looks like I'm off to the hardware store before I can finish the project lol I need a new saw blade

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This sounds really complicated to build, light and clean... you will need to clean it every 7-10 days after your first cleaning. I made an upflow in 10 minutes with a pair of scissors and three zip ties. I'm not saying I'm not excited to see pics and hear how this works for you, just saying that sometimes simple is best :)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
RefferMatt;181712 said:
This sounds really complicated to build, light and clean... you will need to clean it every 7-10 days after your first cleaning. I made an upflow in 10 minutes with a pair of scissors and three zip ties. I'm not saying I'm not excited to see pics and hear how this works for you, just saying that sometimes simple is best :)
I would be interested in seeing pics of yours, both in build and operating. I'm thinking of adding one to my new sump

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I'm desighning it too be easy to clean,the outside of the drum is gonna slid off for cleaning and the drum is going to pop out nice and easy ,its going in the fuge in place of the cheato . Aslo the up draft causes a lot of salt creep .

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will post pics when I get a chance. I'm glad you are thinking outside the box, the only way someone finds a new and improved way of doing something is by trying something different :)

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it sounds complicated but I enjoy engineering stuff like this. The drum consists of 2&1/4 sheets of mesh. The idea is for it to work with no extra lights or pumps . I ran out of materials so ill have to back to the Hd or lowest lol

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's what it looks like so far, its bigger than I expected lol. I want to use as much of the pace as possible so the water has to drive the drum.