Another noob question, cycling

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;291914 said:
I just cycled my 660 with 660 lbs of dry rock that I muratic acid washed power washed and muratic acid eased again. I also started with500 lbs of dry sand it took my tank 1-2 months to completely cycle.
I used the same process in my 90. I did also use a bacteria supplement by microbe lift to seed the tank with bacteria.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As long as you add an ammonia source and a something with the right types of bacteria you will cycle fast. Ive had very quick cycles by taking a small amount of live rock rubble and live sand from a mature tank to seed the new tank. I would then "feed" the tank with a few drops of zooplankton or pellets each day to create my ammonia source. Once the ammonia dropped to zero and I noticed a diatom bloom, I then added a few snails to feed on the diatoms and algae. Dont worry if your nitrites are still high when adding your clean up crew. Nitrites are not poisonous to saltwater to to the high concentration of Cl- due to the salt. Once your hair algae bloom has finished, you are safe to add fish like clowns and such (dont get damsels to cycle. They like to kill new inhabitants for fun).

If you're nit to far from Westminster, I have a ton of extra live rock rubble and live sand with tons of worms, pods, etc. if you want some diversity on your microfauna. PM me if you want some.