Any input on LED lighting for a 75 gal?

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, Kip make a great score on a 75 and we are planning to move 55 to it and then run both. We like our led that we have for the 55 - it is a Current and does the controlled sunset etc. 75 is 5 inches larger front to back and all other dimensions the same. It seems we may need a second mortgage to light this thing! Just wonder if anyone has had success with led DIY or options you may think of for this. If we do not have the controlled time we can live with that, but want good light as our livestock is now growing and healthy.

Also could use a screamin' deal on substrate for the new tank. Any tips appreciated. J

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rapid led has some decent diy options, including an option that reminds me of a build your own radion. I have heard decent things from different people about the diy options, just haven't taken the time to try it myself

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mccoc033;328211 said:
Rapid led has some decent diy options, including an option that reminds me of a build your own radion. I have heard decent things from different people about the diy options, just haven't taken the time to try it myself
I am not opposed to DIY and so we will look at this too. Thanks Chris.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have a controller or do you want/prefer one that has a controller built in?

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThatsDeep!;328235 said:
Thanks, we'll check it out.
Thanks everyone! WE have the EverGro 's ordered and on their way :) - thanks Chad that was a great deal! Found a skimmer, bought a 20 long for the fuge on Craigslist, got 2 pumps, - this is much more fun after you have done it once and know what you are in for! The 75 and really nice stand only cost Kip $100 on Craigs, so we were off and running as soon as he got that. Love this insane hobby!

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
BryanF;328270 said:
This is what I bought for mine. I received them the other day, seems like good quality but that tank isn't up quite yet.
Guess we will find out together! Glad to know they look like good quality lights and Kip said they are 3W per LED.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ThatsDeep!;328306 said:
Guess we will find out together! Glad to know they look like good quality lights and Kip said they are 3W per LED.
I am thinking of buying the same light, what are your impressions after using it for a while? Worth the $100 or so?

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;332801 said:
I am thinking of buying the same light, what are your impressions after using it for a while? Worth the $100 or so?
WE are liking them - Kip was not able to find any solid instructions online so had to experiment with the height over the tank. We found mixed reviews, but for the money it looks like a good choice and really seeing some of the corals popping in ways that they did not in the other tank. Lighting is such a crap shoot sometimes, you know I am going to buy lights for the next tank and worry about everything else after. I just don't think any other reef tank hardware does the brain damage that choice of lighting does - LOL!

J

Controller for these?

ThatsDeep!;332812 said:
WE are liking them - Kip was not able to find any solid instructions online so had to experiment with the height over the tank. We found mixed reviews, but for the money it looks like a good choice and really seeing some of the corals popping in ways that they did not in the other tank. Lighting is such a crap shoot sometimes, you know I am going to buy lights for the next tank and worry about everything else after. I just don't think any other reef tank hardware does the brain damage that choice of lighting does - LOL!

J
Do you have a controller for these... or just manual control?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
JonLachelt;336108 said:
Do you have a controller for these... or just manual control?
Evergrows are manually on/off only control with a light timer or controller outlet. No fancy sunrise capability or integratiin with third party controllers. If you need those features for a similar price point, get reef radiance (kind of a pain, but some nice features) or an ONYX (I use these any they are awesome)

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea not programmable. I have mine controlled by reef angel but only off and on. The blues and whites are on different channels and are dimmable. I've had mine for a few months, I'm happy with them