any late modle ford guys or gals out here?

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
need a bit of help, trying to drop in a new distributor on my 73 f 250 with a 390 but the dist doesn't seem to drop all the way in. does this look correct or incorrect to anyone??

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
charleshardy5;353108 said:
Have you tried putting the rotor on it and spinning it around to help align the splines? Are you 100% sure it's the right part as well?
the rotor is engaged with the cam so it doesn't spin freely, i have manually rotated the motor to see if the dist drops any lower but it doesn't. i have double checked the part and it should fit no problem

Apparently that model ford engine is prone to slop in the oil pump shaft. Upon research I've found that a lot of people suggest once the cam is engaged to the rotor to hold down the distributor and have someone bump the engine.

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
High Plains Reefer;353131 said:
Oil pump shaft may be a bit too long nick see if you can take it out and cut a little off the end or just double gasket it
this style shaft has a clip to keep it from coming out,so i would have to drop the oil pan to remove it

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
High Plains Reefer;353306 said:
what kind of distributor is it?
its a summit ready run. got it in just need to dial everything in. it has a miss. truck fires up perfect and accelerates like a beast but at idle their is a significant miss. my timing light isnt working so ill have to pick one up

moose66

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
The pump shaft is not going in to the dist this can be a real ***** some times. With to much pressure the pump shaft will rotate when turning the engine. The best way I found is lift dist and lightly bouce till it seats. Or pull dist reach down and move the pump shaft till it lines up. Don't start the engine with the shaft not seated will burr one of them then you are dropping the pan good luck feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. The FE engine is one of fords under rated engines

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
moose66;353355 said:
The pump shaft is not going in to the dist this can be a real ***** some times. With to much pressure the pump shaft will rotate when turning the engine. The best way I found is lift dist and lightly bouce till it seats. Or pull dist reach down and move the pump shaft till it lines up. Don't start the engine with the shaft not seated will burr one of them then you are dropping the pan good luck feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. The FE engine is one of fords under rated engines
the dist was hitting the retaining ring on the shaft. i had to lower that by 1/8"