anyone know a structural engineer

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I called one guy and he wanted $700 to come tell me what kind of aquarium I can have and how to support a floor with a piano on it. That seemed excessive. Anyone know a reasonably priced structural engineer? I want to see what I can have for an aquarium as I am looking at a 160 gallon currently and also wanted to know what to do in my piano room as the floor bounces with a grand piano in it. Thanks!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;671938 said:
I called one guy and he wanted $700 to come tell me what kind of aquarium I can have and how to support a floor with a piano on it. That seemed excessive. Anyone know a reasonably priced structural engineer? I want to see what I can have for an aquarium as I am looking at a 160 gallon currently and also wanted to know what to do in my piano room as the floor bounces with a grand piano in it. Thanks!
I recommend engineers for Insurance companies all the time. Price normally starts at about 4000.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me talk to the structural engineer at work

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n671941 said:
I recommend engineers for Insurance companies all the time. Price normally starts at about 4000.

for what, a whole house that has been damaged? This is a little less involved plus I've heard of people using engineers for less I just can't seem to find those posts.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is base fee that I have seen. sorry wasn't trying to be derogatory. How big of a tank are you talking.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n671950 said:
That is base fee that I have seen. sorry wasn't trying to be derogatory. How big of a tank are you talking.

oh no worries, I didn't take it as derogatory at all. I knew you were being honest I just wasn't sure of the scope of work 4k gets you lol. 160 gallon but in the middle of the house, not on an outer wall

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got helped for free by an engineer type guy at Aspen lumber off highway 52 and i25. Probably helped too that i was buying the lumber to shore up there.

Basically i had pictures of the type of joists and room under tank location as well as a diagram with a lot of numbers. Total span, span between major crossbeams under joists. Height of joist and dimensions of the toes. Length on center between joists. How many tank will fit over.

Mine was cut and dry since i could tell from underneath exact location and it was pretty short span between foundation and steel beam and perpindicular allowing most joists under it. Basically it was pretty easy to tell i was fine as is and i still did a 4x8 cross beam on 2 posts to be sure as it's pretty cheap.

If it was closer to border line i think he would not give a firm answer without being formally contracted and quite expensive. But he is an engineer that calculates loads on trusses, roofs, floors, etc.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks all for the replies. I found an engineer who will come out for 130 an hour and estimates 2-3 hours of work so I will just go this route. If all goes well I can refer him on this thread. He won't be out until next week. Thanks again!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;672023 said:
holy shit thats expensive... im glad i took engineering in school...
Bill out rate is great as an engineer but outside of freelance it never pays close. Most structural engineers make like 40-50 an hour. 130 bill out rate is pretty common for a PE with like 5 years experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most of the good ones that do just residences in Boulder county are like $250 or more an hour. They don't get all of that, even if they own their own company... it costs a lot to run a small business and benefits are really not cheap. This is the same with all careers - software engineering is like $50-75 (salary based) an hour if you work for a good company... $250-500 an hour if you are on your own and are really good.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally got the ok from the engineer. He wasn't fast by any means... but the steel beam in my basement is enough to hold what I want :) If anyone wants to use him I can share his info.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;672875 said:
Finally got the ok from the engineer. He wasn't fast by any means... but the steel beam in my basement is enough to hold what I want :) If anyone wants to use him I can share his info.
How long did It take him to do the work? Can I get his information as well?