Apex auto feeder

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey apex users,

I am wondering who all has one of the new auto feeders. Do you like it? What food do you feed with it?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a new one, still in the box. Havent gotta around to setting it up, but also been trying to figure a good food for it. I mainly got it for vacations, but my anthias wont eat pellets so was thinking maybe some freeze dried foods. I tried a few hikari ones and the anthias will eat it but not sure it will work in the feeder, so still looking.

bathomassr

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one and use Neptune's CD (Crossover Diet). Everyone except the mandarin eats the little pellets. I feed with it on Wednesdays and mysis on Mon and Fri. That way, when I go on vacation and run the feeder only, I know they'll eat. It works great, but has a very week mounting clamp for a rimmed tank. I've knocked it off twice into the water. Dried, replaced food and it continues to function.

I have one and use it 3 times per day. Gotta feed those anthias. I've only used pellets so far but have been wanting to try flake but haven't gotten 'round to it. I really like it even though it is noisy and flimsy built. I have mine sitting on the eurobrace with the cable short enough that should I bump it it won't fall into the water. I would recommend it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have it and like it. It feeds a consistent amount of food...I use the NLS pellets in there. I don't think it's flimsy...but I will say that you need to be careful removing the feeding container from the unit when you go to refill. If you hold the front panel and not the entire feeding container (which is recessed into the unit, by the way), it's fairly easy to just yank the cover off and dump an almost full container of food into the tank. Don't ask me how I know :p

That's my only qualm. It's noisy as heck...but I'm not home when it runs anyway so I don't care. Eurobraced tanks with a mesh lid offered a unique challenge in mounting the feeder...your options are a clamp or rubber feet...neither of which work with the mesh lid on the eurobraced tank. I ended up clamping my feeder to the hanger that my radion is on...it works well enough even though it's sitting high above the tank.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one and it works well with the crossover diet and any other pellet food with a similar pellet size. If you only use small pellets or prefer flake food, it wont work very well. Programming can be kind of a PITA especially if you want your return to shut off prior to feeding amd you want multiple drum rotations, but I am happy to help if you need it.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the feedback guys I just ordered one so my tomini tang will stop nipping my clam. I was hoping NSL pellets would work.

bathomassr

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
AGGJSW;331516 said:
I have mine sitting on the eurobrace with the cable short enough that should I bump it it won't fall into the water. I would recommend it.

NOW you tell me this! Haha, definitely a good idea because the mount is pretty flimsy.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only downside is my fish don't beg quite as much now when I walk up to the tank :heh:....but as soon as the feed cycle starts they all bunch up in the corner waiting for the pellets to fall. I use the apex pellets, and they don't float that well...but all the fish have learned to pick them up from the bottom.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
"slight issue".....made the mistake of trying to pull the container out once when it wasn't cycling.....got the lid and the food left in the container dumped into the tank....that was a mess. Now I start the cycle and grab the container...not the lid.