APEX Users - USB cable q

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone running a non-Apex USB cable? I need like a 20' cable. I have read some people have used non-Apex cables with success. Others claim they won't work. Anyone have first hand experience with non-Apex USB cables?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get them from usbfirewire.com those always work. For a non-apex usb to work, it must be a straight through usb specified with low capacitance (less than or equal to 15.5pF per foot) and min 36V BIL insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, I've picked them up from usbfirewire, was hoping to save some $ this time around, guess not :)

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scott check monoprice and see if they have a beefier one if the issue is voltage.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are cheaper ones than usb firewire, but the issue is that "cheap" usb cables are usually upwards of 35pF per foot capacitance and 15V BIL insulation. With better cable, comes higher cost. If you can find a cheaper cable than usbfirewire that meets the specs I listed above, go for it and send us the link.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got this back from the guys at USBFireWire, after he said I could use these cables for the Apex:

"True… usually longer USB Cables beyond 15ft have repeaters build into them… which disables them to work as Apex Cables.

The 2 that I referred to below do not have repeaters – so they will work as Apex Cables guaranteed."

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usb2-xx.html

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So you have to ensure it's USB 2, About 1/3 of my cables are non Apex cables. Some of it has to do with esticics, as Apex has shipped grey cables with the Auto Feader and a few new additions. I like the black cables.